bucknut71

Travel Rod to Match with Stradic 2500

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Recently changed jobs and will be traveling now for work, sometimes to fishy areas on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts (read that as you will).  I’ll be able to enjoy some spare hours at these locales at times, so I’m going to invest in a good travel rod to pair up with a Stradic 2500 I just picked up.  I understand this might be on the light side for some situations, but wanted to stay small for something to throw in to the bag.

I like the St. Croix Tidemaster Travel Rod, but before push the button on that, wondered what other options folks might suggest that might be less than that $250 price, as well as which model of the Tidemaster you would suggest if I go that route.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Been using a 7' (three piece, MH - Fast) Daiwa Ardito for the last five or so months - been real pleased with it so far (cheaper though than you want, about $100.00 with a case).  I'm using a Daiwa Fuego 2500LT on it - works well together.  OH

Thanks Crappie.

Thanks Old Hunter.  I’m not at all opposed to something less expensive!

BTW, I saw your “sign off” of OH and, for a moment, thought you were giving me the “OH” for an “IO” response, being the Ohio State fan I am.  Lol

St Croix makes a 2 piece version,  their Premier series that are very nice, and a hundred bucks cheaper. I have their M and H 3pc Tidemasters which I like and the 2 pc in medium light that I use a 2500 on. Great white bass and smaller striper rod. I have fought larger stripers on it with mixed results below Ft Loudon Dam. 

You Have a number of good options currently on the market. St. Croix tidemaster are at the top of the heap and in addition to being one of the best performing travel rods, they are also one of the priciest at about $250.  Triumph also has a nice travel rod for about $130. Both Bass Pro and Cablas have a number of multi piece travel rods with a range of weight ratings. Those rods are in the $50 range. I have one of the cabelas travel rods and also a tidemaster. Without a doubt, the tidemaster is a better rod but it costs 5X what the cabelas rod does and I don't feel it's 5X as good. Finally, there are a number of telescoopic rods on the market that you might want to consider. I have an old one made by DAM  that I got fro Wally Worlds bargain bin. It had no sku number so they let me have it for $5. It's a 7 footer and is rated up to an ounce. I've taken some decent freshwater fish with it but have not used it in the salt. I have no reason to think it wouldnt perform just as well on schoolie bass as it has for largemouth and chain pickeral. Anyway, you should look into telescoping rods as well. Bass pro has some and they'd match up nicely with your little 2500 and for not much $$$. Cheers!

I've got two of the Toro Tamer Surf Explorer spinning rods from Charkbait... They have worked well for me on trips to the Caribbean... Check  out their site on line.. They sell other travel rods as well...

Butch

I just saw that LL Bean has a nice travel rod for $99. They're having a 20% off sale fot the 4th of July too, so that brings it into the $80 range. You might want to seriously consider this; LL Bean rods are usually pretty good.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, bucknut71 said:

I’m going to invest in a good travel rod

It’s not less $, but if you really want to swing for the fence, look at the St Croix Legend Trek. 7’ M 3/8 - 3/4oz, 3pc. $400.00........

Edited by Inshore