MarkyGee

Saw something Crazy last night...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fishing a popular outflow in C-Town last night on a dropping tide.

It is my time to drift, and all of a sudden we are blinded by a light...from the ocean. At first I thought it was a kayak fisherman, but it turns out to be a group of guys in a small cuddy cabin.  Maybe 22-25 feet max.

No lights on the boat, and there was thick fog. They had a guy on the bow with a flashlight, and attempted to enter the pond, against a full outgoing tide and full fog. Not exactly something I'd want to do at 10:00pm at night. Or even during the day.

We immediately stopped fishing and realized they were under duress as it became apparent they were not able to see the jetty and were not steering and motoring properly for that inlet. The boat almost hit the insides of the jetty several times as the Captain over steered over and over again. They finally struck the inside of the jetty, with the prop I Believe. The boat got spun around, and was getting pulled out to sea when they got it engaged and managed to get through the inlet, as far as I could tell.

They are lucky as hell...It was pretty wild to see go down. 

Edited by MarkyGee

That is nuts.  I seriously wonder how there are not more incidents with folks trying to get in and out of those bways.  With a swell and a strong tide drop it seems insane to try and get in there.... Lucky no one was hurt including the guys on the jetty!

Any fish? :laugh:

31 mins ago, Kooky said:

That is nuts.  I seriously wonder how there are not more incidents with folks trying to get in and out of those bways.  With a swell and a strong tide drop it seems insane to try and get in there.... Lucky no one was hurt including the guys on the jetty!

Any fish? :laugh:

No unfortunately, it's been really slow. Waste of drive other than for witnessing that. 

7 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Witnessed a similar situation on a new moon night, lucky there were people with headlamps on each side of the drift to guide the boat back in.

Yea we had to light up the rocks as they made there way into the jetty, i didn't know if that was helping or hurting lol but at least we tried.

Seen too many try to putz through that inlet. The ones that know what they're doing make you reel in quick. Fog at night forget it. Anchor off where a dragger can't get ya and wait it out.

Nice of you to assist and hope it brings the good ju-ju on you're next outing.

2 hours ago, MarkyGee said:

Yea we had to light up the rocks as they made there way into the jetty, i didn't know if that was helping or hurting lol but at least we tried.

Kinda like runway lights for a plane :eek:. They must have been hurting (or crazy !) if they were attempting that at max drop. At bad as that is, I bet the Q is even worse.

My wife and I were fishing by ourselves at the Q about ten years ago and had the same thing happen-spotlighted, 6 or 7 guys in a small underpowered #$%box boat trying to figure out how to get into the breachway.  We're yelling at them to shut the $#%^& spotlight off when a guy jumps in the water and starts swimming towards us.  We help him out of the water and onto the jetty and he tells us they cant get in-guy barely speaks english.  I give him my cell and he calls his buddy on the boat and we coach them into the breachway, they get in about ten feet past the mouth and he's stuck in the current and we're screaming at him GO GO GO, he finally starts getting a little headway and makes it into the pond.  Then my wife and I pound fish for the next three hours.  This obviously happened before the place got blown up.

Posted (edited) · Report post

About a decade ago a guy put a big whaler on the q rocks. Right where

i had been standing a minute earlier

sea tow the next day, hooked

a rope to and just punched it, ripping him right off the rocks and kept going. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

The Q is a bit tricky if you've never done it before.   Depending on the boat, you really have to pick your days and know the tides.   All the breachways really.  I always see people in undersized boats going through.   Okay when things are calm, but how often does the wind pick up later in the afternoon?  I think you also get a lot of weekend boaters who decide to boat no matter what the conditions.  Plus, it can be nice and calm in the pond and rough out front.   Go to a breachway on a warm, bright sunny day but rough conditions and you're bound to see a few boats struggle.  

With Quonnie, can't really tell what it is like out front until you round the corner and then it is tough and often more dangerous to turn around.  How often do you see people going through who clearly don't know what they are doing and aren't wearing life jackets.  I always put one on when going through, no matter what the conditions.   Breach ways always make me a bit nervous.    

yea a swell just picked him up and put him on the rocks. it was actually gentle, If you could believe it...prop lodged in the rocks perfectly and the boat was sitting pretty level....got ev4ryone off but I think the old guy was in shock as he was trying to get things out of the boat...i finally screamed at him to look at me and said "get off the fuqn boat" and he snapped out of it. 

Saw it happen at Chucktown about 15 yrs or so ago. Boat was going out into an incoming tide. Big wave picked the boat up, the prop came out of the water all forward motion stopped. The wave carried the boat backwards and dropped it right on the end of the rocks on the soft side.

13 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

About a decade ago a guy put a big whaler on the q rocks. Right where

i had been standing a minute earlier

sea tow the next day, hooked

a rope to and just punched it, ripping him right off the rocks and kept going. 

Thats awesome lol  those seatow boats have some juice for sure!