Ben Lippen

Driving the backroads and searching for fishin holes...

15 posts in this topic

Any of y'all still do this like I used to? I started on my bike ranging far and wide looking for newer, better spots. Then I got a license and a truck. I usta have a nice set of real topographic maps that I got from the state. Cost a dollar a piece and were  4 sq.miles each , but they were state of the art back then. Used them to find all sorts of nice hidey holes and creeks full of fish. Sometimes it was hiking into the woods the boy scout way with my map and compass, sometimes just following the barely marked fire roads. I had a 12'  one man Old Towne canoe in the back of the truck if I needed it.

Long since sold that canoe, and where the maps ended up I have no idea. But the new technology available on my phone has me intrigued to go back to my roots.

Kinda coming full circle from whence I started. I still do have an inflatable pontoon style belly boat thingy, and even a couple of them little outfits that I used to crawl through deer trails and such with to get to a spot. 4 1/2'  Okuma and 5' Uglystick  ultralights because of the often severely limited  area to wave the rod. 

I became very proficient at the bow and arrow sorta cast back them with them little rods.  

Anyway, I'm gonna get the best app I can find, and search further that I did. Hopefully, I t wont be all built up. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

All the time.......that's all I do...now aided with google earth and arc gis property maps to find out if it's private or not.

I keep a 10' two piece kayak and a float tub in my car at all times.   

I don't often film when on the water.  But first two minutes of the vid below was exactly result of the above.  In the middle of no where.   Un touched....and judging by the fish.....never successfully fished.   No fresh or healed hook marks.

Edited by scoobydoo

Been selling building materials all over eastern NC for 40 years, basically from the east side of Raleigh to the coast from the NC/VA line to the NC/SC line.  There is a lot of fresh, brackish, and saltwater in my area.  I use maps and apps, the state has a nice website showing boat ramps and bank fishing spots on it, also most of the towns (large and small) build public use piers on their rivers and saltmarshes.  I try them all, some get a lot of pressure and some don't.  I don't do much brushbusting anymore, but I do ask my distributor customers and contractor customers where I should fish - get lots of good tips.  I keep two 2 pc. rods in the car one a general purpose FW rod/reel and one a general purpose Inshore rod/reel and two tackle boxes (FW/SW), boots, and a fold up ice chest.  I will devote an hour to an hour and a half while out traveling to trying a fishing spot.  Makes going to work fun!  OH  

there are hidden gems out there, off the beaten path. they normally hold really nice bass that rarely, if ever seen a lure. be willing to bushwack and or float in. they are out there, even in new jersey. remember you also have the wild trout streams, much more fun then tossing lures or bait at stockies. the best part is, you wont see another fisherman around. all these fish are eager to take lures. 

22 hours ago, kype said:

there are hidden gems out there, off the beaten path. they normally hold really nice bass that rarely, if ever seen a lure. be willing to bushwack and or float in. they are out there, even in new jersey. remember you also have the wild trout streams, much more fun then tossing lures or bait at stockies. the best part is, you wont see another fisherman around. all these fish are eager to take lures. 

Don't I know it. I've caught moss backed bass black as you could believe in well hidden deep hideys where I was searching for big pickerel. Big bass, that you could stroke the moss on their backs like a mammals coat of fur. 

Most of the places I talk about are no longer accessible, or worse are just worn out or trashed.

Gonna find me some new hidey holes.

Is there a minimum size body of water you'll look at?

I pass some water holes that are small but look clean and well fed with fresh incoming water. One i'm interested in is about 1/4 acre.

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

Is there a minimum size body of water you'll look at?

I pass some water holes that are small but look clean and well fed with fresh incoming water. One i'm interested in is about 1/4 acre.

Thanks!

Nope. I cut my freshwater teeth fishing a tiny creek that feeds into my river. Had to save my allowance to buy a 5' Diawa ultralight outfit from my local bait shop, just so I could wade and cast in that little thing.

If it's big enough to make a cast, I'll try it after some study.

There's still some working cranberry bogs ten minutes from my place. Years ago the  then foreman of this farm ( lived in the house there) and I had a good rapport, and he let me drive past his place early and late all the way to the back where the retention waters were. 

One time after a record rainfall and flood when it was clear for me to drive back there I found lotsa huge mud puddles. After walking and fishing the road perimeter I was headed back to the truck past a big puddle when I saw a fish wiggle on the edge. Figured it was a minnow but I bent over to look. 

It was a maybe 9" pickerel. I could have just reached down and scooped him up to return to the main water. But I thought to myself "This little guy must be hungry after being trapped in this puddle for a day or three." 

So I got my ultralight set-up out and put on the smallest jig head I had and a curly tail. Jiggled that around in the deeper part of the puddle and dont'cha know that little freshwater barracuda jumped on it.

I picked him out of the puddle, told him to remember the lesson, then tossed him into where he came from originally.

Sorry. I find myself telling a lot of story's lately. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

Yes +1 google earth and maps.

I had a secret pond on the backside of a office park 2.5 miles from my house. Just dinks, but a great place to go blow off steam and a almost guaranteed catch. Been going by there randomly for last 2 years.

Went by Saturday morning before chores and found this where the path through the woods was... so back to the drawing board

IMG_0143.JPG

9 mins ago, triumph said:

Yes +1 google earth and maps.

I had a secret pond on the backside of a office park 2.5 miles from my house. Just dinks, but a great place to go blow off steam and a almost guaranteed catch. Been going by there randomly for last 2 years.

Went by Saturday morning before chores and found this where the path through the woods was... so back to the drawing board

IMG_0143.JPG

Ironically, they call that 'progress' :rolleyes:

Ben, I grew up doing the same thing. Rode my bike everywhere, explored ponds/lakes by getting in them and walking around :)  It got worse when I got my license...it really got worse once I started looking for bass in other states :o  

Ben's going to be wandering the paths and dirt roads of the Pine Barrens ?

Sooner or later he'll be stumbling onto some of those old time "off the grid" Pineys living in their old school buses 

Been nice knowing ya pal !

And bring your guitar 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Ironically, they call that 'progress' :rolleyes:

Ben, I grew up doing the same thing. Rode my bike everywhere, explored ponds/lakes by getting in them and walking around :)  It got worse when I got my license...it really got worse once I started looking for bass in other states :o  

Im sure you never snuck into Hoffmans

3 hours ago, richie c said:

Im sure you never snuck into Hoffmans

I've been caught on dozens of different docks in the middle of the night :blackeye:  

15 hours ago, TimS said:

I've been caught on dozens of different docks in the middle of the night :blackeye:  

I was referring to the place on 18th ave. the old borrow pit.