Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MB19565

Bridling Mackerel- What Size hook do you use?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

This year I've been using the "Ultimate Bridle" when fishing with live Macks. 

The Good:

• My Hook up Ratio has been extremely high (near 100%)
  • I find that I can "cast" the fish a bit without fear of the hook ripping out
  • I'm not sweating how deep or shallow i've put the hook 
  • no gut hooks so far, all are hooked in the lip- 

The Bad:

• I've been losing Fish once I get them to the Boat. Seems like a few good headshakes once the tension is off right before grabbing them allows the hook to come out.  I'm trying to avoid using a net. 

I've been using 4/0 circle hooks as recommended by the company that makes the bridle.   I am wondering if a Larger Circle hook like a 7/0 might help as it would have more "hook" in the fish. 

What Size hook do you use when bridling Mackerel? looking for input and opinions. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4/0 would be too small for most stripers, IMO. The hook needs to fit around the jaw, the gap of a 4/0 would be borderline at best. 6/0-8/0 are a better match, so your 7/0 is on the right track IMO.

Why not use a net? Easier on the fish, and no slack line.

Edited by ermghoti

I too would bump up the size of circle hook to the class of fish you A.) have in your vicinity or B.) size of fish you are targeting.   

Really big Striped Bass when using a circle hook would require a decent size hook.   Maybe even 9/0 or larger for jumbos.   

Nothing like getting freight trained by Mackerel bass.    :D

Edited by flylikabird

Those I'd rather use those for Blue Fin Tuna, but that's just me.   Ten years ago I might have made the same recommendation but with the SB numbers not doing great and the advent of technology I'd prefer circle hooks for this setup.   

Heck fire.....I used to just use a circle hook right through the nostril or behind the dorsal, maybe near the ass depending upon the water column I chose the bait (Herring, Mackerel, Whiting...etc) to swim in the depth that I preferred.  Then there was always the decision to use or not use floats of some kind as well.

Edited by flylikabird