buz23

Trash washing up on the beach

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

So I'm out on MV on my annual expedition and as usual see a lot of crap washed on the beach.  Not many high finders, lobster traps, or other fishing gear this year, but there are the usual mylar balloons.  I was amazed at how many blue rubber gloves (Martek, one said) with the cotton cuffs I saw this morning, at least a dozen and most were totally intact.  Also a number of K-cups which I haven't seen in the past.  I also found a number of clear/whitish honeycomb type things which I couldn't decide was some ex-sea creature or just a partially decomposed bubble wrap.  I should have taken a picture of that, haven't seen them before.  I will get a picture and post later.

What's going on with the gloves?  Are they considered disposable now??

8 mins ago, buz23 said:

So I'm out on MV on my annual expedition and as usual see a lot of crap washed on the beach.  Not many high finders, lobster traps, or other fishing gear this year, but there are the usual mylar balloons.  I was amazed at how many blue rubber gloves (Martek, one said) with the cotton cuffs I saw this morning, at least a dozen and most were totally intact.  Also a number of K-cups which I haven't seen in the past.  I also found a number of clear/whitish honeycomb type things which I couldn't decide was some ex-sea creature or just a partially decomposed bubble wrap.  I should have taken a picture of that, haven't seen them before.  I will get a picture and post later.

What's going on with the gloves?  Are they considered disposable now??

Did the honeycomb things look like 1-2 inch white discs of some porous material? If so, someone explained way back when in another thread that they are filters used in sewage treatment plants that wind up in overflow after a big rain event or flood. 

I do not want to throw our hard working fishermen under the bus but that may be the source of much of this trash.

I have spent nearly 300 days on dozens of different fishing vessels in the northeast. Like anywhere else, you have some thoughtful considerate people and you have some real a hole slobs.  Some captains make it a point to bring every piece of trash back to the dock, while some instruct their crew to dump even the garbage from the galley overboard. Most boats fall somewhere in between, where the bulk of the trash makes it back to the dock but used up gear like gloves may get tossed.

I remember that Mr. Bigdeal. Spent my summers on LBI in the 80's and 90's, and it was pretty nasty at times between the hospital waste and sewage.We also used to find a ton of Jersey Beach Whistles. I was just a naive kid back then, and always wondered why my mom would freak out when she saw me picking them up! 

Image result for beach whistles

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Did the honeycomb things look like 1-2 inch white discs of some porous material? If so, someone explained way back when in another thread that they are filters used in sewage treatment plants that wind up in overflow after a big rain event or flood. 

They varied in size but a number were bigger than a softball.  The individual "cells" were about 3/8" across and were shaped like small shell pasta.  The entire assembly looked like a big glob of tripe.  Soft of like a strange sponge like shape overall.  I'm pretty sure they weren't anything from a sewage treatment plant.

Edited by buz23

I don't think those cases for the white mice were from fisherman though?...sad as this was either intentional dumping or unintentional overflow that was overlooked. Both should be punishable if ever caught. 

You do know it’s perfectly legal to dump anything, except for plastic and oil, as long as it sinks, when you are more than 12 miles from shore?

46 mins ago, hobobob said:

That means stripper fishing very good in the area.

Finally an appropriate use of that word on this forum

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

You do know it’s perfectly legal to dump anything, except for plastic and oil, as long as it sinks, when you are more than 12 miles from shore?

I’ve been wasting a lot of money on paying for weekly trash pick up. I should just drive it out to sea...

:banghd: