flylikabird

Coast Guard Suspend Search For Missing Nantucket Kayaker

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

The Coast Guard have suspended a search for a Nantucket man  Vitaly Filiutovich who has gone missing Sunday after his kayak was found off the Nantucket Island.

Here's the story from News 22...

NANTUCKET, Mass. (AP) — The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a kayaker who went missing off the coast of Nantucket last weekend.

The Coast Guard said the search for 36-year-old Vitaly Filiutovich was suspended late Tuesday morning.

Officials say he was reported missing at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday. His empty kayak was found about a mile and a half off the eastern shore of Nantucket shortly after the search began.

Several Coast Guard boats and two aircraft participated in the search, covering more than 3,000 square miles over 42 hours.

Frank Daily, the missing man’s friend, told The Inquirer and Mirror of Nantucket that Filiutovich is a year-round resident of the island, an experienced boater and was wearing a life vest.

Posted (edited) · Report post

98.5 Sports Hub Z&B Show had a caller about an hour ago who said that he had a source that told him the kayak did have shark bites but the authorities in charge refuse to divulge said information because of the proximity to the Fourth of July holiday. 

I can't confirm that this is in fact true.   The caller also threw Sarge Mike O'Rielly under the bus with an anti Sarge salute.  Doah!

Edited by flylikabird

11 hours ago, flylikabird said:

98.5 Sports Hub Z&B Show had a caller about an hour ago who said that he had a source that told him the kayak did have shark bites but the authorities in charge refuse to divulge said information because of the proximity to the Fourth of July holiday. 

I can't confirm that this is in fact true.   The caller also threw Sarge Mike O'Rielly under the bus with an anti Sarge salute.  Doah!

Amity

13 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to have a lack of transparency when it could potentially mean money lost for the town. Its like Jaws but real life. 

I give credit to the guys in yaks. Last thing I would want to be doing is unhooking a big girl in 30ft of water in the wee hours of the morning. Shark bait Ooh Ha Ha!

''The cooler was right next to the kayak where we recovered it,” Swiatek said. “The kayak was submerged a little bit. It had water in it and it was too heavy to bring on board (our 47-foot boat).”..........so that being said sounds like they left the kayak at sea. no evidence to refer to of shark attack......sounds a little sketchy

Wow. Sad story. :( I wish the family the very best. 

This thread reminds me of all the stupid stuff I did when I was young on my kayak. Alone in the ocean, late at night, no life jacket on me (with one on board), DARK GREY colored kayak, stringer in the water with fish on it, and just fishing away. Very dumb. 

Be careful out there fellas! Think about your family and friends! Be safe!

3 hours ago, Vaporizor said:

''The cooler was right next to the kayak where we recovered it,” Swiatek said. “The kayak was submerged a little bit. It had water in it and it was too heavy to bring on board (our 47-foot boat).”..........so that being said sounds like they left the kayak at sea. no evidence to refer to of shark attack......sounds a little sketchy

I highly doubt the USCG would leave an unmanned kayak at sea.  Perhaps it was marked off and left during the initial phase of the search and rescue.  They have done the same with dead  bodies during the initial searches.

An unmanned kayak floating around would result in many future calls to the Coat Guard.   I’d bet my money that the kayak was recovered and brought to shore at some point shortly after.

I do find it odd that a person supposedly wearing a PFD wasn’t found by now.