Gotcow?

Why are Democrata/Progressives not working to lower tuition costs at colleges?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

College tuition is absurdly expensive and all Democrats and Progressives want to do is make everyone pay for it so it's free.

They really want to make sure that all of their Liberal indoctrination professors stay happy and the facilities keep churning out freshly minted new brainwashed liberal voters.

Get the government out of funding the post secondary education business.

Stop feeding the pig.........

If they make it all free I'll go back to school and just become a life time student. Why work for a living when everything is FREEEEEEEE!!

[clownworld]

It's a complex issue.  I wish I had the answer.  I don't understand why college has become so expensive either.  I've always wondered why there wasn't a brighter light shined on the schools themselves.  This student loan issue is going to blow up and possibly wreck the economy if it's allowed to continue.  Maybe more strings tied to the loans.  No loan except for certain degrees?  More progress required toward the degree or no loan? No loans for private schools?  I just don't know the answer.  What I do know is that a kid coming out of school $80K in debt and expecting to teach sixth graders is freaking insane.  Can't trust the kids or parents to make good decisions, so maybe you have to change the rules?

To get a job that pays a wage that someone can purchase a home, raise a family and tuck a bit away now requires a degree (at the least an expensive license). Those same jobs that didn’t require a degree or license existed 30 years ago. Baby Boomers made the degree/license a requirement to protect their jobs that previously did not require them, which contributes (not wholly), to the sad cycle of overpaying for a degree for a job/trade, which will indebt  them out of housing ownership, which is where most of the “wealth” is held for the “middle class”. 

Suggested this last week in one of the FREE tuition threads.

the govts involvement in financing college tuition IS the reason it is so costly.

universities can charge any amount they want. It’s a ponzi scheme that funnels our tax dollars to the universities. IMO 

Edited by Markushook

Same reason they have no interest in making healthcare less expensive.

So people can be dependant on govt.

Dependancy is control.

48 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

To get a job that pays a wage that someone can purchase a home, raise a family and tuck a bit away now requires a degree (at the least an expensive license). Those same jobs that didn’t require a degree or license existed 30 years ago. Baby Boomers made the degree/license a requirement to protect their jobs that previously did not require them, which contributes (not wholly), to the sad cycle of overpaying for a degree for a job/trade, which will indebt  them out of housing ownership, which is where most of the “wealth” is held for the “middle class”. 

B.S. trade school doesn’t cost nearly as much as a bachelors degree!

12 mins ago, MakoMike said:

B.S. trade school doesn’t cost nearly as much as a bachelors degree!

The problem is kids (most of them) don’t want to do manual labor.  

I see it every day.  Tradesmen are getting older and as they retire there are no where enough young people to replace them.

Edited by DMacLeod

10 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

The problem is kids (most of them) don’t want to do manual labor.  

I see it every day.  Tradesmen are getting older and as they retire there are no where enough young people to replace them.

Not wanting to do manual labor is different than expecting to be able to make a living with an art history degree.  When I got out of the Army, I didn't want to do manual labor anymore either.  When I went to college on my GI Bill, I made sure I understood the prospects of employment for the different degrees.

3 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

College tuition is absurdly expensive and all Democrats and Progressives want to do is make everyone pay for it so it's free.

They really want to make sure that all of their Liberal indoctrination professors stay happy and the facilities keep churning out freshly minted new brainwashed liberal voters.

Get the government out of funding the post secondary education business.

Stop feeding the pig.........

Starting this fall...

GMU.PNG