SallyGrowler

Shake up at the NRA coming

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I am getting my info second hand but worth a discussion.

Recent news was the suspension of Chris Cox (Head of NRA-ILA). the rumoour was a coup-attempt that he supposedly sided with North and his team to oust LaPierre.

The speculated truth, their legal and accounting firms raised questions on Cox's expenditures that were not de minimis.

Apparently Cox was indignant and it escalated. The directors demanded Cox be suspended or they would seek WLP's immediate departure.

I also believe COx was sacrificed to save WLPs ass, at least for a little while.

North and Brownell have a lot of sway with the BoD although Brownell would rather not get down and dirty.

North threatened to leave the NRA BoD but still received the highest number of votes from the membership at large.

I hope he stays. 

I would not be surprised to see WLP retire from Exec VP position  within the year.

Public reactions:

I saw Hickock, IraqiVet and MAC all declined to openly support NRA (however they are not telling people to leave or endorse other groups).

Their rhetoric is not well thought out, and will probably cause more people to leave or avoid both the NRA and GOA and other organizations that support 2A.

I will continue to support the NRA as well as GOA and my Local 2A groups.

The NRA is unique in its membership and agenda however it is like most other large organizations where you will experience turbulence.

I will also reiterate that sportsmen are their own worst enemies and will often fall into a divisive path rather than unite for a common goal.

If you don't believe me - look at NJ, CA, CT, and other rogue nations.

I anticipate a litany of  responses about how the NRA is all about making money and the "fuds" are running the show... 

I don't anticipate sportsmen to regularly unite in a monolithic block to preserve their rights or even to take a modicum of activity to voice their opinion within their organizations.

I live in CA and there are a number of local groups.  Which is great. But any meaningful legislation passed in favor of gun owners in CA is because of the NRA.

This is my last 3 year commitment.  Until there is evidence the NRA has adjusted course IMHO they are, literally, doing more harm than good.  The anti's need little incentive or proof to market their nonsense.  The latest news from the gun rights group plays directly into their hands.

I continue to send money to GOA

I have no clue what is happening in the NRA except for what I read here. I firmly believe that if the NRA falls it will be the end of the second amendment. I've been an NRA life member for almost 50 years, will continue to send donations to them.

53 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I have no clue what is happening in the NRA except for what I read here. I firmly believe that if the NRA falls it will be the end of the second amendment. I've been an NRA life member for almost 50 years, will continue to send donations to them.

Agreed.  If the NRA folds so will our ownership protection.  I’m suspect of Wayne LaPierre and would like to see him replaced.  He’s been in that position too long.  Like 28 years if what I’ve read is correct.  Time for some new leadership.  Trouble is who?

Their fund raising activities have gotten aggressive lately.  I’ve been getting calls at 8 in the morning and after 9 at night.  Annoying to say the least.

Another thing would be to move the NRA charter out of New York State.  Cuomo has too much clout there.

In spite of all this they can’t be allowed to fold.  Our 2nd Amendment rights would fold too.

I send a donation to GOA after watching H45's video I will stay with NRA trough out 19 as i am paid up and i will watch and see what next year brings . Either way someone will be getting paid to carry the fight .  

4 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I firmly believe that if the NRA falls it will be the end of the second amendment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't have our largest organization divided or we will be conquered. From what I understand it needs a swamp cleaning.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:10 PM, afterhours said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't have our largest organization divided or we will be conquered. From what I understand it needs a swamp cleaning.

true.

Have to agree with you all on this.... Without the NRA we will only be able to use sling shots with marshmellows.

Like most large organizations you do need a cleaning & policing due the basic human nature. Power, money, sex leads to abuse & can ruin most good organizations.

Life member, also NYRPA member and a few local groups. Also send them money on occasion and the ILA. Not happy with current situation, but they are still the best game in town.

The NRA house needs some cleaning,I never thought Wayne was worth a darn as a spokesman.When I read about all the money Wayne spends on clothes,really.... WTH? Things started going wrong when they built the new building,it just got worse and worse until we find ourselves here.I am a life member so I am, not abandoning them,they serve an important role,but something needs to be done to get the HQ on track.

from Ammoland (and admittedly he's getting it second or third hand) edits mine

It’s been an open secret for more than 20 years (since at least the 1990s) that an outside public relations firm, Ackerman McQueen Inc. (around NRA headquarters, commonly called “Ack-Mac”) enjoyed a favored and protected, if not inviolate, relationship with NRA. The owners of Ack-Mac were close friends and associates of NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. He handed them major roles formulating, directing and performing many NRA operations for which Ack-Mac and its associated companies bill NRA millions of dollars annually — in 2017 alone, over $40 million. To ensure their position by enhancing his, Ack-Mac created a persona for LaPierre as NRA’s public face; his strident, increasingly right-wing rhetoric espoused in NRA’s name was shaped and scripted by Ack-Mac. In turn he fended off sporadic calls to reduce Ack-Mac’s penetration of NRA. LaPierre and Ack-Mac became practically indistinguishable.

This special relationship and its financial intertwining were largely opaque, fully appreciated only within inner circles of the 76-member Board of Directors. Though payments to Ack-Mac accounted for a large chunk of NRA’s budget until recently Ack-Mac was unmentioned in annual reports or minutes of the Board’s meetings, it was as if Ack-Mac didn’t exist. The full extent of Ack-Mac’s influence, participation, and responsibility for NRA’s high-level management decisions remains, to this day, obscure.

But this symbiotic—some viewed it parasitic—liaison recently came unglued. The exact cause is still unclear. A new NRA Treasurer, Craig Spray, took office in 2018, and may have been reluctant to sign off on required tax filings without proper documentation for the sums paid to Ack-Mac. The dramatic shortfall of NRA income in the past three years [a result of the defeat of rabid gun banner Hillary Clinton and supposedly pro-gun President in office] may also have precipitated a closer examination of the spending attributable to Ack-Mac. The facile movement of personnel from Ack-Mac and other vendors to and from NRA’s payroll, and the subsequent dispensation of lucrative contracts, had long generated unwelcome suggestions of apparent conflicts of interest and self-dealing. Further, it was rumored that Ack-Mac billed NRA huge sums [including several years of Waynes' clothing bills] that were vastly inflated or not properly substantiated. Whatever the cause, LaPierre found himself in the position of asking Ack-Mac to verify its charges. When such accounting was not provided, NRA filed a lawsuit against LaPierre’s former pals. That seemed totally out of character; what triggered his action after so many years of coziness and laissez-faire remains murky. [we speculate it was due to the challegnes created by New York state, where the NRA was forced to update many of its corporate disclosure documents, setting of a cascade of accounting house cleaning and finger pointing.] It seems to have escaped the MIA Board’s notice that if this litigation is justified, it is foremost an affirmation of LaPierre’s own mismanagement.

To pursue this claim and litigation against the Lockton Affinity LLC —NRA’s insurance contractor— arising from the wreckage of the ill-fated Carry Guard program (which was supposed to rescue NRA from its plummeting cash flow) LaPierre hired a Texas lawyer named William Brewer.

Previously almost unknown in NRA circles. Brewer’s bills for legal services swiftly displaced Ack-Mac’s as an initiator for cardiac arrest. [it appears Brewer is positioning his firm, Brewer, Attorneys & Counselors, who has their own in house PR division to replace Ack-Mac at the NRA teat] Brewer’s charges total more than $24 million over the past year, and apparently continue at a breathtaking if not larcenous rate, about $1.8 million per month. It is credibly alleged that Brewer’s retention by NRA was, like Ack-Mac’s, devoid of proper oversight, controls and accounting. Brewer himself seems an odd choice. [NRA Secretary, John Frazer, is said to have approved the contract with NRA Board Audit Committee backing] He is said to have close family connections to Ack-Mac, being the brother-in-law of one partner and the son-in-law of another. Moreover he has been sanctioned for ethical issues by two different courts —most recently by a federal court in Virginia, where he was ejected from representing NRA in court.

Enter Oliver North, a central figure in the Iran-Contra affair in the 1980s, more recently a pundit on Fox News. North has served on the NRA board of directors for some years. Last year LaPierre recruited him to fill an unexpected vacancy left by Pete Brownell resigning his NRA presidency. Reportedly North was to resign his salaried position at Fox, and go on Ack-Mac’s payroll at more than $1 million to produce NRA-TV programs that presumably would be billed back to NRA. According to North, LaPierre helped negotiate the contract. Last December, owing to NRA’s financial straits —revenues in 2018 fell by more than $50 million— and because NRA-TV was being curtailed/canceled, North voluntarily accepted a lower salary from Ack-Mac, reportedly reduced to measly $800K. Nonetheless, the NRA presidency traditionally has been an unpaid position; the rationale for any highly-paid celebrity to occupy this office was never explained.

North’s allegiance in the events that followed is unclear. What is clear, however, is that Brewer’s astronomical legal bills in pursuit of Ack-Mac became a focus of North’s attention possibly at the bequest of his employer.

Declaring Brewer’s fees “an existential threat to the financial stability of NRA,” North demanded the production of the legal bills and supporting documents for review, and was joined by First Vice President Richard Childress, whose financial independence and integrity are unquestioned. When these demands were rebuffed, North circulated a letter to the Board, calling for an independent inquiry into Brewer’s billing. By this time it leaked out that LaPierre had charged to Ack-Mac over $274,000 of expenses for travel and wardrobe that evidently were then billed back to NRA. North maladroitly threatened disclosure unless LaPierre resigned. LaPierre counter-attacked, publicly charging North with “extortion.” More significantly, LaPierre also said, “others informed me that I needed to withdraw the NRA lawsuit against [Ackerman McQueen] or be smeared.

continued

All this came to a boil at NRA’s 2019 annual convention in Indianapolis. In a behind-the-scenes showdown, North failed to persuade the Board to back him, and instead, he was ousted; his chair on the podium at the plenary Members Meeting was conspicuously empty. A letter from North was read aloud, stating that he had not been renominated for a second term as NRA president.

Two days later the Board of Directors convened its own meeting behind closed doors.  Emerging a few hours later after an acclamation vote, the Board astonishingly did not announce any change. Instead, now-president Carolyn Meadows declared that the board has “full confidence in Wayne LaPierre.” In other words, everything’s under control, nothing to worry about.  The unintended message: the individual ultimately responsible for the present mess is still in charge.

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/****-storm-todays-nra-heads-need-to-roll/#ixzz5scFwfkvT 

its a lot of stuff and mixed in with a lot of speculation in the ammoland story. It really isn't about clothing purchases, but lack of supervisory oversight that seems endemic to business associations as they reach certain levels of power and participation.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:31 PM, Dan Tinman said:

Their fund raising activities have gotten aggressive lately.  I’ve been getting calls at 8 in the morning and after 9 at night.  Annoying to say the least.

Right? They seem to be financially run like a gov't entity.