BrianBM

James Holland, "Normandy '44"

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

The full title is "Normandy '44: D-Day and the Epic Battle for France."

If you have any taste for campaign histories, this will be of interest.  There are scores of invasion histories on the market, but this one is the most detailed that I've read.  The author argues with the existing consensus on a number of issues, and he makes a good case.  Field Marshal Montgomery's impossible personality may have been due, in part, to his being somewhere on the autistic spectrum (I don't buy that, but he makes a reasoned case).  Montgomery's preference for meticulously planned set-piece offensives was appropriate and paid dividends, when fighting over terrain that lent itself to defensive war. Hitler's insistence that the German Army hold every inch of French ground was a great asset to the Allies, since it kept the Wehrmacht within range of the Allies' massive weight of naval artillery for far longer than need have been the case, and so on.

There are some military history buffs on SOL, so this is for you guys.  

4 mins ago, BrianBM said:

The full title is "Normandy '44: D-Day and the Epic Battle for France."

If you have any taste for campaign histories, this will be of interest.  There are scores of invasion histories on the market, but this one is the most detailed that I've read.  The author argues with the existing consensus on a number of issues, and he makes a good case.  Field Marshal Montgomery's impossible personality may have been due, in part, to his being somewhere on the autistic spectrum (I don't buy that, but he makes a reasoned case).  Montgomery's preference for meticulously planned set-piece offensives was appropriate and paid dividends, when fighting over terrain that lent itself to defensive war. Hitler's insistence that the German Army hold every inch of French ground was a great asset to the Allies, since it kept the Wehrmacht within range of the Allies' massive weight of naval artillery for far longer than need have been the case, and so on.

There are some military history buffs on SOL, so this is for you guys.  

I'll look for this one... thank you 

I read it as a hard cover book from the library. I wonder how it will look on a Kindle.

Most military histories have some maps. The hardcover volume has more than usual, which I like - there are rarely enough - although they're bunched together at the beginning of the text, rather than being placed in the parts of the text where they'd be most at hand for the segment of battle under discussion. Cabo, when you've seen it, post a comment on how well or badly the maps are displayed, please. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

I read it as a hard cover book from the library. I wonder how it will look on a Kindle.

Most military histories have some maps. The hardcover volume has more than usual, which I like - there are rarely enough - although they're bunched together at the beginning of the text, rather than being placed in the parts of the text where they'd be most at hand for the segment of battle under discussion. Cabo, when you've seen it, post a comment on how well or badly the maps are displayed, please. 

Got it to read on the Europe trip in July.  Since the fare for Saturday to Friday was $3400, I opted to go Friday for $1400.  Work will pick up the extra night in Amsterdam.  Been a while since I've stayed in the city.

Cabo

Well I finally finished the book this weekend.  I can say it is better than I could have hoped.  Reading about each of the different groups puts the battle in a whole new perspective.  The maps in the eBook weren't bad.  Just had to expand them.  I would recommend this to any war/history buff.

Cabo

Thanks - I'll put that on my read list. The more I read about the war in Europe, the greater my respect for Eisenhower. Imagine having to deal with Monty, Patton, De Gaulle, Churchill, and FDR. 

3 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

That sounds like a good read, will put it on the list. 
Also, I’d be remiss is not recommending this book (from one of my favourite authors)

CB66ED30-5C07-4706-95E3-A632053D38A5.jpeg

GREAT BOOK !!!