jaydreamin

New to the area, the "Race"?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, nateD said:

Nice you should be fine then, I've seen 16ft tin boats out there and always thought those guys were nuts.

I'm with you.  I have a 17 CC and I see those low in the water tin boats fishing areas I wouldn't fish.   Always surprised more don't fill with water or get in trouble. 

I seen guys on a Pontoon Boat out there and it wasn't one of the nice ones 

So what is everyone's favorite set-up for the race? I'm thinking about getting a new winch for bucktailing this year.

I've only been fishing it the last 18 months and just fall top water action.  I do plan to do some jigging next time I'm in the area.   I plan to jig with leadheads and sluggos. 

I can't stand the race, meat-stick fishing at best.  Big weight, big baits and even bigger a-holes who don't know how to safely set up in the drift.  There's no finesse to fishing that area. The best fishing is at night, Stay clear on weekends and holidays as the a-hole ratio increases. The moon tries to drag 300 ft of water over a glacial ledge that shallows up to 30 ft around areas like valiant rock.  I've seen 6 ft standing waves out there that would swallow a < 20ft boat in one gulp.  There are SO many other options.  I highly recommend avoiding that cluster.

On 7/2/2019 at 0:54 PM, nateD said:

I'm thinking about getting a new winch ...

gilda-radner.jpg?w=1000

"What is this about "getting a new WENCH" ... is this how you treat your mate? How derogatory ... How exactly does this work; do you just trade in your old wench for a new one every 18 months? Whenever you see a picture of some savory tart someone here on SOL uses as an avatar? And what about alimony? ... what? WINCH? ... nevermind 

On 7/17/2019 at 11:49 AM, H'Islander said:

I can't stand the race, meat-stick fishing at best.  Big weight, big baits and even bigger a-holes who don't know how to safely set up in the drift.  There's no finesse to fishing that area. The best fishing is at night, Stay clear on weekends and holidays as the a-hole ratio increases. The moon tries to drag 300 ft of water over a glacial ledge that shallows up to 30 ft around areas like valiant rock.  I've seen 6 ft standing waves out there that would swallow a < 20ft boat in one gulp.  There are SO many other options.  I highly recommend avoiding that cluster.

sounds like the canal. id be right at home. :rav:

46 mins ago, bdowning said:

sounds like the canal. id be right at home. :rav:

The canal is a hazard to navigation for small boats?

On 7/2/2019 at 0:54 PM, nateD said:

So what is everyone's favorite set-up for the race? I'm thinking about getting a new winch for bucktailing this year.

I've got one rig with a Newell on a 7' one piece slammer that works good for pulling up diamond jigs.  I've got a 6' solid penn mariner rod and pair it with a Penn 330i for drails w herring.  Both with 50# test, use a heavy leader with a diamond jig.

I built a spiral wrapped rod especially for fishing the race on a Hercules 7' blank.  I used it once (haven't been since) and was disappointed when the boat I was fishing (the Blackhawk) fished half the day for porgys and black sea bass.  They weren't much of a challenge.

14 hours ago, buz23 said:

I built a spiral wrapped rod especially for fishing the race on a Hercules 7' blank.  I used it once (haven't been since) and was disappointed when the boat I was fishing (the Blackhawk) fished half the day for porgys and black sea bass.  They weren't much of a challenge.

You went on a party boat without knowing what they were fishing for and only brought one rod?

On 7/24/2019 at 9:23 AM, MakoMike said:

You went on a party boat without knowing what they were fishing for and only brought one rod?

I drive 180 miles each way to fish one of the party boats.  I take two rods, one for drails and one for diamond jigs.  The switch over to porgy's and bsb was a first for me. 

Two of the last four times I drove down the boat I was planning to go on (the Helcat in this case) didn't have enough customers to go out.  That dampened my enthusiasm considerably and I haven't been since.