jaydreamin

New to the area, the "Race"?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I'm new to fishing RI. Can anyone direct me to the "Race". I was thinking I might rinse off a few lures out there sometime during the week of the 4th. TIA, Jay

OK, the race is the area between race rock light off the western tip of Fishers island and little gull west of that.

It's where the water flushes in/out of the sound, and you can't miss it, you will see the fleet out there fishing it.

It's a severe depth change which accounts for the rough water and swift current.

People usually fish it with heavy jigs or 3-waying bucktails with a heavy weight.

Pay attention as you drift up the hill so you don't snag or you might damn near spool yourself, it moves that quick.

It's a productive spot.

I don't consider this spot burning, it's the race.  

Thanks!

When I asked I knew it wasn't a secret location.

I'm just looking for new areas to try now that we are here in RI to stay. I appreciate the advice.

What type and size boat do you have? It can be a lot of fun out there, and also can get scary quick in something less than 20ft if you let yourself get into that rip. So basically keep that motor runnin' and always ready to move back up. Diamond jigs during the slower tides and 3 way bucktailing/rubber shads has always worked well for me, I've needed 20ozs out there to stay on bottom so have some big lead with ya.

Posted (edited) · Report post

20' McKee Craft CC

Thanks for the heads up on that rip, Nate. I'm used to fishing pretty much all conditions: Race Pt, Stellwagen, Wasque, ... 

As a member of the Sheriff Office Underwater Search and Rescue Dive Team I tend to play it safe.

Edited by jaydreamin

13 mins ago, nateD said:

Ya that doesn"t seem like a good idea, they do that around the rock?

No, they were right out in the middle of the race drifting the slope with the boats, they had a guy up top on their boat and the flag, but still, a lot of current and a lot of traffic to be diving. 

58 mins ago, Billybob said:

No, they were right out in the middle of the race drifting the slope with the boats, they had a guy up top on their boat and the flag, but still, a lot of current and a lot of traffic to be diving. 

Wow that is stupid I wouldn't have even thought it was possible.