PatFin401

Direct tie or snap?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone use snaps or those new micro t,a clips when fly fishing for stripers? Or always direct tying? For flats fishing and clear water that's pretty obvious, but what about fishing streamers in the dark?

Learn a good loop knot (non-slip mono loop), and learn to tie it with your eyes closed. Save the clips for plug fishing. 

Alan 

I just started using the TA micro clips. Saves me from adding tippet or new leaders but I’m still a fan of direct tie with a loop or clinch even when surfcasting. I can go either way.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, faithless said:

Direct tie gets more bites for me.

As I posted previously re my experience with the new T/A micro clips, I agree. More bites tied direct than with clip.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to use them at night. My negative comments about the clips were a result of fishing in very clear, pretty calm Cape waters next to my buddy who was not using the clips. He was catching and I wasn't until after he caught several stripers, I decided to ditch the clip and tie direct. Then I started catching. 

Edited by flysully

8 hours ago, Chipnice said:

I use the ta when the blues are around 

or bonito or spanish macs, quick change for beat up flies, a some protection and a little flash, I have caught bonito on pretty much just a TA clip and a bare hook

albies are another story

Edited by ferret

I use a loop knot pretty much exclusively for stripers. 

When Blues are around, I use a 30# snap on the end of a 8" piece of 20# single strand wire  (with loop twisted in the other/ leader end) . This rig casts pretty easy and I really don't care as much if the snap fails on a blue.

I use clips all the time.  The TA 50lb clip is what I use.  Here is my take:

1. You are adding weight and if you are fishing normal size flies (less than 7" long) I find it impacts my flies action.  It makes the nose dive on the pause.  So if you are fishing a fly like a deciever it changes its action.  

2. Tying knots in lighter line 20lbs or lighter is easy to get good knots in the field so I think for light leaders and small flies clips are a bad call.  So on my 9WT I always use a non slip loop knot and smaller flies.

3. I fish with a 12WT and 40lb leader in inlets with large flies 12-16".  I only use TA Clips for this and I pre-tie my leaders at home get knots absolutely perfect including hardening with resin.  This is big fish hunting and current is over 3kts.  This is not just canal but any inlet with substantial current.  In this scenarios clips are best way to go if you plan to change flies often.

4.  I fish with 10WT in all other environments and if I am fishing subsurface with sinking line with fluorocarbon leaders and flies 8-12" the clip is the way to go.  If I fish topwater, indicators, or waking a big streamer I don't use a clip and I use a mono leader.  I use 30lb leaders on this rod.

I only fish at night.  

So if you are fishing with small size flies below 2/0 and 4" or less in length I really feel clips impact the flies action negatively.  

Large flies and heavy leaders for sinking lines are what clips excel for.

I know Slip says clips fail.  I am sure it happened to him.  In six full season (330+ total fishing trips) of surfcasting and fly fishing I have never had a TA clip fail.  Other things fail first: knots, leaders, even fly lines (snapped a Coastal Quick shooter at the Dicth)  

On 6/29/2019 at 5:58 AM, The Graveyard Shift said:

I use clips all the time.  The TA 50lb clip is what I use.  Here is my take:

1. You are adding weight and if you are fishing normal size flies (less than 7" long) I find it impacts my flies action.  It makes the nose dive on the pause.  So if you are fishing a fly like a deciever it changes its action.  

2. Tying knots in lighter line 20lbs or lighter is easy to get good knots in the field so I think for light leaders and small flies clips are a bad call.  So on my 9WT I always use a non slip loop knot and smaller flies.

3. I fish with a 12WT and 40lb leader in inlets with large flies 12-16".  I only use TA Clips for this and I pre-tie my leaders at home get knots absolutely perfect including hardening with resin.  This is big fish hunting and current is over 3kts.  This is not just canal but any inlet with substantial current.  In this scenarios clips are best way to go if you plan to change flies often.

4.  I fish with 10WT in all other environments and if I am fishing subsurface with sinking line with fluorocarbon leaders and flies 8-12" the clip is the way to go.  If I fish topwater, indicators, or waking a big streamer I don't use a clip and I use a mono leader.  I use 30lb leaders on this rod.

I only fish at night.  

So if you are fishing with small size flies below 2/0 and 4" or less in length I really feel clips impact the flies action negatively.  

Large flies and heavy leaders for sinking lines are what clips excel for.

I know Slip says clips fail.  I am sure it happened to him.  In six full season (330+ total fishing trips) of surfcasting and fly fishing I have never had a TA clip fail.  Other things fail first: knots, leaders, even fly lines (snapped a Coastal Quick shooter at the Dicth)  

I was fishing a heavy,rolling surf in NJ and lost two flies off a TA,no idea how that happens...

4 hours ago, slip n slide said:

I was fishing a heavy,rolling surf in NJ and lost two flies off a TA,no idea how that happens...

Sounds like a bad clip.  While its never happened to me yet I am certain I will eventually get one that is a piece of crap.  All types of gear has a few duds.