DannyBoycustomleather

Newell 229 clicker is worn

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have a Newell 229 and the clicker doesn’t click.  It barely slows the spool when engaged.  It works well when line is wound in, but going out it sounds worn. The pawl looks unworn, the gear looks good also. I don’t want to start buying parts without knowing which one is the problem. 

What kind of Newell Is it? I've never heard of or seen a clicker gear on the spool wear out. It has to be something else. It's not a complicated reel so it's probably an easy fix. 

Danny... Throw it my way:howdy:... It's gotta be something simple, like Will said, "It's not a complicated reel".... Is everything mounted correctly?... I've bent the spring to increase the pressure before... Maybe try that... There ain't much that can go wrong with it...

Butch

Plastic spring on the clicker dawg (pawl).  Seems like even tension. I looked over the parts closely, only the spool sprocket looked a bit worn . How do I narrow it down, I guess I can start swapping parts with my other reels

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, DannyBoycustomleather said:

Plastic spring on the clicker dawg (pawl).  Seems like even tension. I looked over the parts closely, only the spool sprocket looked a bit worn . How do I narrow it down, I guess I can start swapping parts with my other reels

Maybe your spool adjustment is way to the right? Causing the ratchet on the spool to not engage the clicker? Take off the right side and push the spool in against the clicker while it's on and see if it clicks. If it doesnt post a picture of the left side clicker assembly. 

Edited by Big Will

I’m glad your thinking it thru for me, but alignment of the spool is good, it casts, spins nicely.  And winding line in it clicks reel good, line out alarm sounds like variety of random clucks, putts, and thuds. So I believe it to be the spool, gear, sprocket, teeth, being worn unevenly and showing signs of inconsistancy.

And that’s my Dr. Newell reel repair self authorized expert diagnosis. I will next try the process of elimination, and exchange these parts with my other newel reels that are currently working correctly. 

When it is determined to be the clicker sprocket, I will not be looking to spend $100 for a gently used, new one.

If Its not worth fixing use it for everything except bait and wait, or sell it to a kayak/ fluke / tog fisherman. 

4 hours ago, DannyBoycustomleather said:

I’m only busting chops I’ll find good use for it 

Good... They are great reels, and I would hate for you trash it...

Butch