PatchyFog

Woman indicted over miscarriage

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

With the restrictive abortion laws being enacted, I thought things like this would happen eventually. From The Week magazine.

 

Alabama woman who miscarried after being shot is indicted for manslaughter

 

Marshae Jones, 27, was taken into custody in the Birmingham, Alabama, area on Wednesday after a Jefferson Country grand jury indicted her on manslaughter charges over the death of her unborn child after a December 2018 incident where another woman shot her in the stomach. The woman who had the gun and pulled the trigger, 23-year-old Ebony Jemison, also faced manslaughter charges, but the grand jury declined to indict her so the charges were dismissed, AL.com reports.

 

Police argued that Jones, five months pregnant, started the fight and was ultimately responsible for the death of her fetus. The altercation was over the father, according to Pleasant Grove police Lt. Danny Reid. "The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby," Reid said after the Dec. 4 shooting, outside a Dollar Store. "It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby."

 

Not everyone agreed with Reid. "The state of Alabama has proven yet again that the moment a person becomes pregnant their sole responsibility is to produce a live, healthy baby and that it considers any action a pregnant person takes that might impede in that live birth to be a criminal act,'' said Amanda Reyes, executive director of the Yellowhammer Fund. "Today, Marshae Jones is being charged with manslaughter for being pregnant and getting shot while engaging in an altercation with a person who had a gun. Tomorrow, it will be another black woman, maybe for having a drink while pregnant. And after that, another, for not obtaining adequate prenatal care." Read more at AL.com. Peter Weber

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, Slacker said:

Marshae and Ebony.  They always seemed like such good girls.  Must have been led astray by DeShawnDre.

If this is precedent, perhaps a white woman will get indicted someday! Maybe that one would bother you!

Edited by patchyfog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, patchyfog said:

If this is precedent, perhaps a white woman will get indicted someday! Maybe that one would bother you!

Wait, what?  You are telling me that Ebony isn’t white?  How’d you know that?  It wasn’t in the article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, patchyfog said:

................ "The state of Alabama has proven yet again that the moment a person becomes pregnant their sole responsibility is to produce a live, healthy baby and that it considers any action a pregnant person takes that might impede in that live birth to be a criminal act,'' ...........

 

So if a female officer who is a few months pregnant, but still on active duty, runs into a school to try to stop a massacre in progress, and she gets shot and loses the baby, she should get charged with a criminal act?

 

Am I understanding this "law" correctly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

 

So if a female officer who is a few months pregnant, but still on active duty, runs into a school to try to stop a massacre in progress, and she gets shot and loses the baby, she should get charged with a criminal act?

 

Am I understanding this "law" correctly?

That was an activist’s spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief, pregnant women should not be starting fights. What's wrong with this picture? Too many of these low brow type women fighting over nonsense. Unbelievable, this woman should have known and acted better. Good begets good, always!:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Good grief, pregnant women should not be starting fights. What's wrong with this picture? Too many of these low brow type women fighting over nonsense. Unbelievable, this woman should have known and acted better. Good begets good, always!:howdy:

Judgmental much?   

 

All the more reason only the Godly legislators of AL should decide what is and what should be for all the Women, be they low or high brow, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Judgmental much?   

 

All the more reason only the Godly legislators of AL should decide what is and what should be for all the Women, be they low or high brow, yes?

And yes, but remember where you reside and who makes your laws. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

 

So if a female officer who is a few months pregnant, but still on active duty, runs into a school to try to stop a massacre in progress, and she gets shot and loses the baby, she should get charged with a criminal act?

 

Am I understanding this "law" correctly?

That seems analogous to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.