Flu Vaccine

Rate this topic

Sandflee

seems it was a dud this year, them picking the right strain is as likely as Belmo winning the Belmont

The flu vaccine turned out to be a big disappointment again.

The vaccine didn't work against a flu bug that popped up halfway through the past flu season, dragging down overall effectiveness to 29%, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Thursday.

The flu shot was working well early in the season with effectiveness put at 47% in February. But it was virtually worthless during a second wave driven by a tougher strain, at just 9%.

There was "no significant protection" against that strain, said the CDC's Brendan Flannery.

Flu vaccines are made each year to protect against three or four different kinds of flu virus. The ingredients are based on predictions of what strains will make people sick the following winter.

This season's shot turned out to be a mismatch against the bug that showed up late.

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Wash your hands frequently and keep your ****ing fingers out of your mouth, eyes, ears and ass whole. 

And get a flu shot. 

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

2 hours ago, Sandflee said:

seems it was a dud this year, them picking the right strain is as likely as Belmo winning the Belmont

The flu vaccine turned out to be a big disappointment again.

The vaccine didn't work against a flu bug that popped up halfway through the past flu season, dragging down overall effectiveness to 29%, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Thursday.

The flu shot was working well early in the season with effectiveness put at 47% in February. But it was virtually worthless during a second wave driven by a tougher strain, at just 9%.

There was "no significant protection" against that strain, said the CDC's Brendan Flannery.

Flu vaccines are made each year to protect against three or four different kinds of flu virus. The ingredients are based on predictions of what strains will make people sick the following winter.

This season's shot turned out to be a mismatch against the bug that showed up late.

It's not a big deal, if your insurance covers the flu shot, to get it. We always do. Never had the flu NOR the flu, people say they got from the flu shot. I figure something is better than nothing, especially since the US HealthCare has formulated a flu shot designed to keep us healthy during the winter season. Additionally,  just got my second Shingrix shot to prevent shingles, which I had once, damage to the eye and never want again. First shot, not a problem. Second shot, arm hurts, 3" red spot and discomfort the second day after shot. However, better safe than sorry! After dealing with shingles the first time, I can def. deal with discomfort with a shot. Keep it in mind, guys. The US Heath Dept. is striving to protect us. Have faith.

I only had one flu shot in my life and that was the year I got sicker, with the flu, than ever before.  "Oh, no," they said "the flu shot can't make you sick." I was out of work for 2 solid weeks. Finally, one of the Docs I know admitted the flu shot was the culprit. I vowed never to get another one. So far that's worked well for me but my current Doc told me when I hit 60, in a couple of years, he'll make me get it. 

I am thinking seriously about the shingles vaccine.

Not a germaphobe but three years ago started to use those wipes at the entrance to the grocery store to wipe down the shopping cart handle.  Also keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the car and use it after pumping gas.  Have not had a cold of flu since and I was pretty much good for either one or the other at least once a year; doubt it's just a coincidence.

"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it"

22 mins ago, jimmythe bee said:

it's possible to have natural immunity, my wife has been teaching at preK level for 10 years, never missed a day of work.

Heard people who live or work on farms tend to have very high levels of immunity because of all the various germs they're exposed to; a classroom of coughing, sneezing, drippy nosed pre-k kids must be a pretty close second.  Imagine that's a tough job at times but a rewarding one; good on your wife.  

"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it"

1 hour ago, valentine said:

I am thinking seriously about the shingles vaccine.

I was a roofer so I don't have to get that ..

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

Why do people think that being exposed to germs is a bad thing? I think that antibacterial stuff everyone carries on themselves nowadays is not the thing to do. You’re limiting your body's exposure and making your immune system lazy and inexperienced so when you actually come across a decent bug you’ll get taken down by it. I’m not saying there aren’t bugs that just take everyone down, but this purel and dust mask thing is pretty gay. I think it’s society’s more accepted tinfoil hat. Let your plumbs hang and face what’s out there.