Jimo95

Cleaning second story gutters

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Anyone have any good ideas/contraptions for cleaning gutters on the second story of my house?  I am done getting out the huge extension ladder and climbing that thing.  I’m pretty sure I could buy something that may reach that attaches to a hose, but anyone have experience with this?

Posted (edited) · Report post

we got leafguard gutters installed 2 years ago. expensive but i'm never cleaning gutters again

Edited by triumph

Super extended leaf blower was my best contraption! But you still had to go up there. Gutter glove from HD, $2.00  per foot. If your handy it takes a few hours and then you can sell your ladder:p

9882705C-8490-40D3-A0D4-16674980C300.png

6 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Can you walk out on the roof?

I could but i am not that brave to do it.  20 years ago, maybe

as i am getting closer to 60 then 50 I admit jumping up from one roof to the second story roof of my dormer-ed cape is getting to be a bit more exciting then I care for. I have used a long stick with a bend at the end to flip out leaves and stuff, then a hose to wash what i cant get down the downspout. The stick thing is no issue but to get the right angle on hose into gutter I am only a couple of feet from edge. This past spring just might be last time as the ground looked a long way away. I spent college working summers and days off, working on highrise buildings in Manhattan, never bothered me to be on a couple of 2x6 building frames for concrete pours 30 or 300 feet in the air, now 20 feet looks like a long way down. Im probably just gonna start paying ned stevens of some other insured/licensed company. 100 or 200 is a lot cheaper then falling.

My roof doesn't have a steep pitch so I just climb up on the roof and manually clear the gutters. This is not recommended for steeply-pitched roofs. If gutter clogs are a constant problem for you, check out the systems made by Englert.

7 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

Im probably just gonna start paying ned stevens of some other insured/licensed company. 100 or 200 is a lot cheaper then falling.

This is what I do.

11 hours ago, cheech said:

Super extended leaf blower was my best contraption! But you still had to go up there. Gutter glove from HD, $2.00  per foot. If your handy it takes a few hours and then you can sell your ladder:p

9882705C-8490-40D3-A0D4-16674980C300.png

I have a lot of white pine trees around me, does Gutter Glove stop pine needles ?

Went with the solid (not screen) top gutter guards this year after an exciting descent from the 2nd story last year. Easy enough to install once you get the hang of it. They shed pine needles and leaves well. Be sure to seal the end of the gutters tightly or you will have starlings in all of them. I had to make end caps for mine since Home Depot sells the GG but not the end caps.

18 mins ago, Mountain fisher said:

Be sure to seal the end of the gutters tightly or you will have starlings in all of them. I had to make end caps for mine since Home Depot sells the GG but not the end caps.

Nice tip :th: 

1 hour ago, BluesCruiser said:

They get clogged too and then its a PIA

They have a lifetime transferable guarantee not to clog and if they do they will be cleaned for free