saltydawg

Talk to me

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

In recent years, I have voted for more Democrats in state elections than I have Republicans. I did not vote for Trump and will not again. 

I actually tuned into into the debates last night and will again tonight to see if there is anyone who represents my views. I think they are pretty normal views, but no one is speaking to them: address the costs of healthcare but don’t remove my choices because I advocate for my own health; stay out of the Middle East; enforce the immigration laws; curb government spending; stay out of the educational mandate business; create a businesses-friendly environment; don’t get into roe v wade issues. 

My views don’t seem wacky, but no one from either side is talking to me. 

1 min ago, saltydawg said:

a two party system seems to create an environment where everything is black or white.

and the middle is ignored.

MOST issues have a common sense middle ground.

but the political parties aren't interested in arriving at it.

If only more voters would demand a common sense 3rd party.

Cut off the ends and leverage the middle. Lot of political power there if it could be organized.

Just now, Gotcow? said:

Cut off the ends and leverage the middle. Lot of political power there if it could be organized.

I guess it’s hard to scare people into siding with normalcy. 

1 min ago, saltydawg said:

Insane electorate.

Keep voting for the same people expecting a different result.

7 mins ago, saltydawg said:

In recent years, I have voted for more Democrats in state elections than I have Republicans. I did not vote for Trump and will not again. 

I actually tuned into into the debates last night and will again tonight to see if there is anyone who represents my views. I think they are pretty normal views, but no one is speaking to them: address the costs of healthcare but don’t remove my choices because I advocate for my own health; stay out of the Middle East; enforce the immigration laws; curb government spending; stay out of the educational mandate business; create a businesses-friendly environment; don’t get into roe v wade issues. 

I'm very similar and have basically considered myself to be effectively disenfranchised for some time. The craziest part is that if a candidate from either party advocated what you outlined, they'd win in a landslide. 

4 mins ago, The Dude said:

I'm very similar and have basically considered myself to be effectively disenfranchised for some time. The craziest part is that if a candidate from either party advocated what you outlined, they'd win in a landslide. 

I think they’d get called a sellout by whichever party they ran for and the partisan fringe would run them out

17 mins ago, saltydawg said:

So whacky Democrat vote over Trump or something different like no vote?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to vote anti-incumbent.

Politicians don't represent individual voters. They represent voting blocs that their donors tell them to go after.

Look at NJ: the Gov has worse teeth than a rabbit that tried to chew its way out of pen.

Image result for gov murphy's teeth

Edited by SallyGrowler

1 hour ago, saltydawg said:

I think they’d get called a sellout by whichever party they ran for and the partisan fringe would run them out

They don’t win primaries.  Both parties are basically fringe now. Neither Dems or Reps are as radical as what either party represents, most are still much more moderate but they don’t control.  Maybe people need to become more politically involved or the way primaries are structured needs to change.  I think your dilemma is really just national politics, local seem more in tune with constituents 

1 hour ago, Gotcow? said:

Any time a chunk of either party tries to bust out of either party, they get reined back in again.

We see it with Bernie, the Tea Party most recently.

The system is rigged as a two party system so the real string pullers, the people most pissed off about Trump, get their person i n either way.

If 16 had worked out like they wanted, it would have been Jeb vs Hillary. Either one was a globalist, and they win with either.

Trump is sand in their gears.

1 hour ago, saltydawg said:

It seems to go with the territory that voters towards the middle who aren't strongly ideological or partisan just aren't as passionate, less inclined to organize, etc.