rmunoz

Shimano ultegra CI4+ 5500/14000 XTC CCC

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

hello everyone. I have been looking online for any information about this reel (2 sizes) and experiences of its use at the canal. If you have happen to use this reel at the Canal, please share your experience. I know that the knob on this reel is one of the negative aspects but other than that, does it perform good? is it good jigging? etc. the information is greatly appreciated.

4 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Hi, I think they're great open beach reels and I love my 5500 but you'd be better served by a saragosa or spheros for canal work.  

@CoffeeHangover any specifics about reasons? also for saragosa/ speheros, what sizes for 11'6" and 10'6" rods?

10 mins ago, rmunoz said:

@CoffeeHangover any specifics about reasons? also for saragosa/ speheros, what sizes for 11'6" and 10'6" rods?

I think there are people much more experienced than me who can give you better answers, but you want to be able to turn fish in heavy current and reels like the saragosa that are designed for pelagics do that very well.

Also this probably doesn't belong in the lure building forum there are a whole lot of much more experienced canal anglers over in the ditch trolls or mass forums who can helo you out.  Is there a particular reason I got picked out? :howdy:

The Ultegras have a long cast spool, this means a long spool shaft too. When the super slow oscillation reaches it's highest point, you have a skinny shaft very far away from it's support for a more extended staying time. Add a big fish, strong current, and heavy jig and you get a bent shaft. This set up is better suited for plugging. I have a 5500 Ci4 that is only used when distance is the priority, I wouldn't want to be stuck jigging with it.

I have a 5500 and don't care much for it. The spool and handle feel like they are gonna break if you're trying to turn a fish around. As mentioned, it does cast a mile on my 10'6 airwave. 

4 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Also this probably doesn't belong in the lure building forum there are a whole lot of much more experienced canal anglers over in the ditch trolls or mass forums who can helo you out.  Is there a particular reason I got picked out? :howdy:

@CoffeeHangover no specific reason. I looked for that reel here and you were one of the few that talked about it. thanks for the input. tight lines!!!

4 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The Ultegras have a long cast spool, this means a long spool shaft too. When the super slow oscillation reaches it's highest point, you have a skinny shaft very far away from it's support for a more extended staying time. Add a big fish, strong current, and heavy jig and you get a bent shaft. This set up is better suited for plugging. I have a 5500 Ci4 that is only used when distance is the priority, I wouldn't want to be stuck jigging with it.

Thanks @Ba Ba Buoy for the good input. I am going to try my 5500 with ODM 10'6" Jisgter 4-10 just to experience it myself. I will bring my VSX along tho.