smath

CDC feather body for dry flies

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Marc Petitjean ties a lot of of his dry flies with a body of twisted CDC feather. Does a dry fly tied this way float better than one with a body of superfine dubbing? Or any other dubbing for that matter? I thought CDC floated well because of all the micro barbules on the feather. It seems to me that twisting the feather this way negates that quality.

I use wrapped CDC as a body on most of my dries have to use it for something.  Normally, I'll wrap it without the twisting.  If you do twist it does give you a nice segmented body.  Whether it makes the fly float better or not is debatable.  Even Hans W will tell you that  the CDC body on his CDC and Elk is more for the shape and the barbules  give the illusion of legs and movement.   The fly is really floated by the deer hair wing.   I use CDC as body on nymphs.  Here's a midge pattern that I tie up that has a CDC body and wing.  It floats well but eventually it will sink. And a nymph tied with all CDC.

wissahickon_midge[1].jpg

Black CDC Beadhead Nymph.gif

Not in my experience. I. Fact I find they get water logged faster than synthetic dry fly dubbing. You can use duck oil but the Colors will still darken. 

I am a a fan of his winging processes but don’t love his body types. 

In my experience a good cdc wing floats really well. I've also been sparsely palmering a cdc feather on my nymph bodies, I like the impression of legs that it gives the fly. The cdc filaments are very fine and move a lot in the water.