SaltyClam

Montauk curiosity

16 posts in this topic

The past couple weeks Iv been trying to  do get some info on Kayaking out in Montauk. Was wondering if anyone here has ever done so? July is their big bass season....I know people travel out there for excellant surf casting. I’m toying with the idea of taking my kayak out there, I just don’t know anything about the area, parking, launching etc. I know the hamptons can be a pain in the ass if you don’t own property there, was wondering if this is the same with montauk? Also wanted to find out about water conditions and any other factors that are good to know before I Make the trip...Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fishing can be spectacular ... unbelievably spectacular.

Launching:

1. Inside Lake Montauk or from the beach on either side of the breakwaters ... parking is a major PITA

2. Below the main parking lots at the lighthouse ... quite a haul from beach to parking pulling a yak but at least you'll have parking albeit effing expensive parking. Beware the 4x4 drivers on that access road, they're usually blasting through at speed.

3. Turtle Cove ... access road will probably be locked, but occasionally you get lucky. Best launch spot IMO.

OTW:

1. The cove area indicated by a circle can be good

2. At the point when its ripping ... either side of the rip ... beware, it can be a tad challenging

3. Basically anywhere really ... be prepared to snag often, really often, lots of structure/traps/ropes etc ... keep your OhSh1T knife sharp and close

Safety:

1. I wouldn't suggest going solo - especially if its your first time there

2. Boaters can be somewhat blinkered in their approach to everything ... keep your head on a swivel ... in the right or in the wrong your headstone will still read "DEAD"

Enjoy, its a-hell-of-an experience that you'll measure most others against :th:

mont.jpg.08dc8e96681ed5d284c480aa6c36bdbc.jpg

Edited by Africaster

I was out their last month camping at hither hills and launched in the Napeague Bay.  The wind was a consistent 16mph with gusts in the 20s and 30s at times.  Unyielding is the word Id use.  It could have been the time of year but be careful.  If its very chopy, you know you wont enjoy yourself so stay safe and be smart.  The water can change very fast so dont put yourself in a compromising position.  You really need the weather to cooperate.

*Edit*  Not sure if this link will work, but use the navionics webapp to scope out structure ahead of time.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating/search@12&key=s}uyF|huuL

Edited by bantis

2 hours ago, Africaster said:

Launching:

1. Inside Lake Montauk or from the beach on either side of the breakwaters ... parking is a major PITA

2. Below the main parking lots at the lighthouse ... quite a haul from beach to parking pulling a yak but at least you'll have parking albeit effing expensive parking. Beware the 4x4 drivers on that access road, they're usually blasting through at speed.

3. Turtle Cove ... access road will probably be locked, but occasionally you get lucky. Best launch spot IMO.

OTW:

2. At the point when its ripping ... either side of the rip ... beware, it can be a tad challenging

3. Basically anywhere really ... be prepared to snag often, really often, lots of structure/traps/ropes etc ... keep your OhSh1T knife sharp and close

Safety:

2. Boaters can be somewhat blinkered in their approach to everything ... keep your head on a swivel ... in the right or in the wrong your headstone will still read "DEAD"

Damn seems like a hike, even for a pedal yak

I launched several time from Lake Montauk entrance by the jetty...very easy parking if you find a spot...go early and it should not be a problem...it is a long ride to the Lighthouse but when fishing is hot you will be catching even along the way going there...beware of the traffic

I'd say this is some of the most dangerous water on the east coast. Half the danger is from bad/drunk boaters, the other half from serious current. There's huge rips off the point. I'd pick a side of the point and work it. Time your tides wisely as the current can rip through there and don't get too close to surf casters, they'll probably throw at you for encroaching as they can be very territorial there. This place can epic during the fall run but it's also combat fishing and frustrating because of the aggressive boaters.That being said, the last few times I went, it wasn't very good and we found more fish on the CT side(launched the boat from Barn Island) but that was years ago.

On 6/27/2019 at 0:37 PM, Africaster said:

Launching:

OTW:

Safety:

Awesome man that’s some great info, sorry for the late response but I really appreciate the response.....iv been wanting to do this for a while now, I’ll be heading out there around the 20th, if your interested let me know....thanks again 

Fair warning.  Was told by a Ranger at Montauk 2 years ago that kayak launching is not allowed in the park.  He also referred to the webpage which does not list kayaking as an allowable activity(the web page does list stand up paddle board, surfing, wind surfing) it did not affect my day as we were done already.  So if you do launch there I would do it quickly. 

This by the way is the same stance that New Jersey takes on the ocean side at Island Beach State Park.

37 mins ago, Richt said:

Fair warning.  Was told by a Ranger at Montauk 2 years ago that kayak launching is not allowed in the park. 

True, but that's NYS parks,if you launch out of turtle cove parking lot that's East Hampton town controlled, very limited parking there (if its open) Its been a while but i think it might be permit only parking? i forget....

If you have a Suffolk  county 4x4 permit you can go to the county side &  down the beach out to shagwong pt.... drop in is at your feet ... from there the whole north side & the lighthouse  is at your finger tips.....

Lighthouse is almost 5 miles from lake mtk parking lot.... shagwong pt drop in saves you 2 miles one way.. 4 miles round trip, thats huge IMO.

Edited by BillZ

Ditch Plains is in easy striking distance. Bring your wife to drive the getaway car. :eek:  If you can get dropped off by the old Eastdeck hotel, the jetty and cove make for an easy launch. Time it to ride the incoming down to the point, and return to Ditch on the outgoing. 

Ditch is relatively the same distance to the light as the lake Montauk parking lot

South side has waaaay more structure to hit on the way to the light than the north side ... depending on the wind & weather, which is more southerly than northerly this time of year,  north side will be the calmer of the 2 sides albeit with less structure to hit on the way,  still plenty going on but not all the reefs the south side has....

south side usually always requires a surf launch unless it's super calm out,  north side is much more forgiving at any time,  it's like launching in L.I.S...

imo, north side is usually the easier launch & landing side any time of year...

:DLol after spending years surfcasting in Montauk, its a great place to kayak fish IMO. There are TONS of places to get away from everyone...

Edited by East Ender

I fished my kayak there for years. I often have a ranger tell me its not allowed, but they usually tell me on the way out. I have launched at Ditch, you just need to watch the surf. If you get a pass you can also go from Shagwong park or Gin Beach on the inside. Fort Pond is also good on the inside. Besides the boats the thing you need to watch are the currents. You can be on your way to Block Island before you know it. I hooked a big blue once and got caught in the rip for 20 minutes trying to get out of it. Always double back and make sure you can get back. For Gods sake have a tall flag. I had a buddy get hit by a boat, because he dipped over a wave and the boat didn't see him on the other side of it. He  it the back of the yak and shot him off like a seesaw.  He was lucky not to get really hurt.