joecrash43

I want to adjust the mag on my 970 during the cast

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I've fished the Penn 970 & 980 since '85, and I am very comfortable with them and get decent distance - but I want more! I've replaced the stock bearings with ABEC 7's, ceramic, and now I want to be able to adjust the magnet during the cast. You can't simply put a knob on the adjustment because it's flush with the sideplate. I need something like the monomag bolt/spring/magnet unit for Abu's. Does anyone know what size the hole for the magnetic adjustment screw on the 970 and 980 is in mm? 

Unfortunately the thread size isn’t noted on the reel schematic: https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Penn/Conventional/Penn 980.pdf

That shouldn’t prevent you from removing the reel cover plate and adding an additional magnet to the existing magnet bearing pressure plate (p/n 302 on the accompanying schematic) if there’s room and the magnet won’t make excessive contact with the spool. I prefer to use more thumb pressure than modify this vintage reel. I also have the 970. Hope this helps! 

Who ever you're dealing with that's who answers your questions.

Monitor your fluff while your cast is in mid-flight. Once the rig

reaches it's apex that's when the spool slows. Adjustment varies.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cheech, that cover plate is from a ABU Garcia reel. Check your own reels clearances before considering such a modification!

Edited by Swimbaiter