Titanty

Old Rod ID

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Not 100% sure this is a fly rod but it is old and I have no idea when it was made or who made it.  Does anyone remember seeing one like it before?  Odd rings at the reel seat area that are not anchored down in any way.  Both rings slide loose up and down the cork handle.

20190625_231701475_iOS.jpg

20190625_231705746_iOS.jpg

20190625_231656337_iOS.jpg

The rings will tighten up on the ramps of the reel foot. You can position the reel anywhere you want along the handle. 

It was not uncommon to see on old ultralight spinning rods.

I seem to  recall having one just like that given to me  around   ' 67.  I used it as a spinning rod, it was awful as a fly rod. Well, at 10, I wasn't much of a caster.

I had that exact rod when I was a kid, very early 1970's

Pretty sure from Two Guys, a generic use it for whatever type rod

20 mins ago, Stonefish said:

As mentioned, Lamiglas honey possibly.

We also had some old Eagle Claw rods that were that color that we used back in the 60's.

SF

Eagle Claw glass was a little lighter , If not a Honey by the picture color ,I would say Fenwick  

20 mins ago, ccb said:

Eagle Claw glass was a little lighter , If not a Honey by the picture color ,I would say Fenwick  

Agreed, some of my old Eagle Claw glass salmon mooching rods were indeed lighter in color. 

We had some EC's that we trolled for Kokanee with lead core line that were very similar in color to the rod pictured.

Perhaps even a bit darker.

My dad brought three of them home from the sporting goods department of the store he worked at.

There was a oval metal Eagle Claw emblem plate glued to the top section of the cork.

I might even still have one lying around somewhere at my place....;) I know one didn't survive a car door.encounter.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

Posted (edited) · Report post

It’s a spinning rod.  Many were made that way so you could position the reel wherever you preferred.  A possible manufacturer is Horrocks-Ibbotson, aka H-I.

Edited by gadabout