Mack26

New Century 1145 reel seat question

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Picked up a new Century 1145 rod from TD and received it yesterday. When i opened it up, the first thing that caught my attention was the reel seat, and locking nut being reversed. I other words, the locking nut is on the foregrip side and tightens toward the butt. 

I immediately called Century, and spoke to the rep Mike, who said it was the way they were doing it now.

I was browsing the BST this am, and saw that BigFischer was selling a like new S1 and his reel seat is the “old way”. 

Anyone purchase an 1145 recently and have the same setup? Not doubting Mike, but it is very different and not sure i like it. He said it was to prevent the locking nut from loosening due to hand placement, but where i hold it, i would be constantly holding it directly. Might have to tape it. Any input from you guys?

9 hours ago, paul708 said:

Just did the surf machine.

we do them both ways,

i like them locking down.

most surf guys use them like the pic..

AE267B0F-21FE-4845-97B8-978223184B5A.jpeg

Agreed Paul, thats the way i prefer it. Have already fished a couple of times, and have had to tighten a few times. 

42 mins ago, mackerel hunter said:

Purchased a 1145 in March and mine is at the rear of  the reel seat.

Where did you buy from mh, if you don’t mind me a asking?

On 6/27/2019 at 6:28 AM, Mack26 said:

Picked up a new Century 1145 rod from TD and received it yesterday. When i opened it up, the first thing that caught my attention was the reel seat, and locking nut being reversed. I other words, the locking nut is on the foregrip side and tightens toward the butt. 

I immediately called Century, and spoke to the rep Mike, who said it was the way they were doing it now.

I was browsing the BST this am, and saw that BigFischer was selling a like new S1 and his reel seat is the “old way”. 

Anyone purchase an 1145 recently and have the same setup? Not doubting Mike, but it is very different and not sure i like it. He said it was to prevent the locking nut from loosening due to hand placement, but where i hold it, i would be constantly holding it directly. Might have to tape it. Any input from you guys?

I bought my 1265 that way from a guy in Connecticut.  At first, it felt/looked very awkward....but I got used to it real quick.  Makes much sense with respect to having that nut come loose during the course of an outing, as it has happened to me plenty of times.  Haven’t had this reel seat loosen on me one time with this rod a

7 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

I bought my 1265 that way from a guy in Connecticut.  At first, it felt/looked very awkward....but I got used to it real quick.  Makes much sense with respect to having that nut come loose during the course of an outing, as it has happened to me plenty of times.  Haven’t had this reel seat loosen on me one time with this rod a

I guess i’m just confused as to why some rods in the series are that way, but then other s are not. Why wouldn’t this be right across the board with all their series, if in fact they consider it a better way. I personally, don’t like it this way, just due to wear i place my hand. It is right on top of the nut. I wish it had a locking nut and maybe it would be a non issue. Or even better, been given a choice as styles, as to which one i wanted. I know i can have one put on now, but I just shelled out $400+ for this rod and would now have to incur that cost to a rod builder, as i can’t do it myself. I guess i should have started there to begin with, and why custom is always a better choice.

15 hours ago, glos said:

We have those options for decade +

now

on spinning rods especially.

For a custom build, yes. Not for a factory rod, unless i’m missing something.