Jdeadman66

Do you want your change?

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

Today I was at the store after work. Young guy at register asks me if I want my change. It was $1.02. He clarified that he only meant the pennies. I told him that’s a strange question, and yes I want it. Have any of you been asked that? One other time another kid in another store asked me that, it was over like 30 cents. I earned my money, I don’t care how much it is I want it back without a question. What do you guys think? Does your change matter to you?

Generally if it's less than a quarter, I'll drop it in the change cup on the counter next to the register. I don't like change in my pockets. If they were to ask, hell yes, even if it's 2 cents. **** them!

Just now, bospa357 said:

Generally if it's less than a quarter, I'll drop it in the change cup on the counter next to the register. I don't like change in my pockets. If they were to ask, hell yes, even if it's 2 cents. **** them!

That’s my thinking. If someone in line needs a penny or something I’ll give it. But I think it’s just inappropriate for the employee to ask that. I hate change in my pocket. I leave it in my truck then it goes in the change jar. When that fills up it goes to the bank.

Just now, Wire For Fire said:

Your a cheap biatch 

Not at all. My money is my money. I tip very well, but why should a major corporation have more than the cost of the product? Why should an employee feel they can even ask that? 

For coin change at times I put it in the little change cup they have in 7-11. For a coffee or bagel store or deli I'll leave a tip,normally a buck plus whatever change I get. But to answer your question, that is my money for me to decide what to do with it. In a store like Target, Macy's, Costco or Autozone, nope it's my change. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Not at all. My money is my money. I tip very well, but why should a major corporation have more than the cost of the product? Why should an employee feel they can even ask that? 

Did they have a tip cup on the counter?  Lot of places allow that these days and they like to throw the "donated" change in there for themselves.  I always tip well at a restaurant, car wash, etc but never thought people behind the counter at a 7-11, grocery store, etc. should be tipped.

Edited by oax
a

9 mins ago, oax said:

Did they have a tip cup on the counter?  Lot of places allow that these days and they like to throw the "donated" change in there for themselves.  I always tip well at a restaurant, car wash, etc but never thought people behind the counter at a 7-11, grocery store, etc. should be tipped.

Grocery store. The other time was a Quik Check. 

Depends on how much I'm getting ripped off. I got charged $1.99 for a pack of halls in penn station. Usually a buck everywhere else. I hand her $2. She takes it and and closes the register. I asked about the penny and she got pissed. Wasn't in a rush so waited for her to reopen the register.

2 mins ago, i07nyc said:

Depends on how much I'm getting ripped off. I got charged $1.99 for a pack of halls in penn station. Usually a buck everywhere else. I hand her $2. She takes it and and closes the register. I asked about the penny and she got pissed. Wasn't in a rush so waited for her to reopen the register.

Good for you. I personally think it’s just laziness on the younger generations part. They don’t feel like dealing with the change, esp the pennies, as they view them as worthless.

Usually it’s the High School dropout at the coffee place that you have to ask for your change back.  There’s only a few things I hate more then Dunkin’ Donuts, but sometimes when you’re out and need coffee it’s the only show in town.