kype

wiring up the fish finder question

41 posts in this topic

Use marine grad butt connectors with the sealer in them, you only need four, you can wrap the two at each end of wiring  together for some strength, and try to keep the wire and connections off the bottom of yak to minimize contact with water......jack

I was always in the "install" it camp and did so on three yaks over the years. Then I had one battery box get flooded (along with the fuse) while connected to the finder. The fuse ( 1Amp as I recall) didn't pop nor was the fishfinder installed. I don't bother anymore for my yaks/canoes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Weehooker the fuse wouldn't blow on your flooded battery box the circuit would have been between the two terminals on the battery, the fuse probably saw no current at all....Jack

Edited by Bulldog

18 hours ago, kype said:

hmm i was actually gonna use regular butt connectors with black shrink tube. i bought 3 different sizes. so i figure i would keep heat shrinking up to the largest size. so the end product would be three layers of shrink tubing. then couldnt hurt to wrap electrical tape over the 3rd layer of shrink tube? 

Just heat shrink with a sufficient length pc once & be done with it,  no layers,  no tape ..... better to go a tad longer than shorter..

This is water proofing, nothing more.... no need to build up in layers as you would for wear resistance.....

tape will fail first & will probably trap more moisture than it's worth...

There’s a time and place for crimp butt connectors-but on my install, I used a proper splice, tinned, liquid tape over tinned splice, then heat shrink over that.  Sure it may be overkill-but it works.  And I also fused the line to the fish finder as instructed by Humminbird, just put the spare fuses in my waterproof battery box.  

On 6/28/2019 at 4:56 PM, kype said:

hmm i was actually gonna use regular butt connectors with black shrink tube. i bought 3 different sizes. so i figure i would keep heat shrinking up to the largest size. so the end product would be three layers of shrink tubing. then couldnt hurt to wrap electrical tape over the 3rd layer of shrink tube? 

Electrical tape fails really fast inside the hull.  It just gets to warm and damp so the glue doesn't hold.  Shrink tubes are nice, but imo not water tight.  I think if your splurge for the marine grade gear youll be blown away and never have to do it again.  Id still suggest using shink tubes, but you can expect better mileage out of the marine rated gear.

i wired everything up last friday. butt connectors and shrink wrap. everything works fine. i guess time will tell. 

now if i can figure out using the fishfinder. 

i put a dab of electric grease on the plugs going into the FF and on the battery plug. 

3 mins ago, bantis said:

Electrical tape fails really fast inside the hull.  It just gets to warm and damp so the glue doesn't hold.  Shrink tubes are nice, but imo not water tight.  I think if your splurge for the marine grade gear youll be blown away and never have to do it again.  Id still suggest using shink tubes, but you can expect better mileage out of the marine rated gear.

if and when it fails then ill buy the marine grade shrink wrap. if anything this is an experiment on how long regular butt connectors and shrink wrap lasts. 

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Fuse?

no, went without it. will post in the future on this post if i run into any problems.