wiring up the fish finder question

ok so, i bought the lowrance hook2 (5") for my hobie outback. i layed everything out today on my living floor for a dry run and make sure i have everything needed for an easy install. i have one question.

the lowrance unit came with a fuse box that you hard wire into the battery power cable and into the power cable for the lowrance unit. is wiring this is required? i have no problem doing it and it came with the unit including the fuse. just wondering if you guys installed it this way or if you just wired the battery cable straight to the power cable.

so the basic question is, should i wire the power cable with a fuse or without it? 

thanks,

kype

I didn’t need no stinking fuse. 

I don’t use a fuse for mine, the battery gets disconnected from the FF after each use and not connected till I go to use it. 

There is sucha low draw of current with a FF on its own, I’m not sure the fuse would blow unless it’s a direct shorting. 

If anyone has the Lowrance transducer transom bracket that they're not using, I'm in need of one. LMK plse.

Tx Brad

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

2 hours ago, Africaster said:

If anyone has the Lowrance transducer transom bracket that they're not using, I'm in need of one. LMK plse.

Tx Brad

I may have one laying around, I’ll check the garage tomorrow. It would have come off a split shot transducer if it matters. 

Edited by Local24 SSP

Ya got some good advice and some not so good. You said Lowrance gave you the waterproof  fuse holder and it is no problem to put it in as per their instructions. Put it in.

1.) It should be on the battery side of the disconnect plug, to protect anything from shorting battery when it’s disconnected.

2.) Fuses will blow and do when sized to the fish finder load, they will also blow if you reverse polarity and save the finder.

3.) There is a pile of draw on the circuit when shorted, easily enough to put a hole in any plastic it is touching. A shorted 12 volt  circuit will melt the copper wire of your circuit or fail the battery.

4.) I use fuses and have blown them, and I know just enough about  electric to be dangerous.

5.) The  fuse holder adds three more points of failure to circuit.

6.) Or just don’t bother.

There I feel better, enjoy that new yak......Jack

Just wanna fish!
DMS#1157    NCBBA#11293     NJBBA#4597

Yellow Eyed Devil from the beginning!

7 hours ago, Africaster said:

Tx Brad

I'll look later this evening.

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

59 mins ago, medriver1999 said:

I will also check for the bracket, I also have an extra Lowrance Totalscan (Triple) transducer if anyone is interested.

Mike

I might be interested in the total scan transducer depending on asking price. Let me know if you decide to post it in the BST forum. Thanks!

The fuse isnt needed.  I used the fuse for the first install but bypassed it with the kayak upgrade 3 years ago.  The fuse is more for power boats with bigger stronger higher amp batteries.

If you turn off your FF before disconnecting you should be fine.

Makes me want to create a poll to see how many people had a unit short on them...