Buckmark22

New Pathfinder on the sand?

17 posts in this topic

Good Day All!

Heading down to OBX and I'm going to run our '19 Pathfinder 4x4 on the beach.  Wondering what other people's experiences have been with newer pathfinders off-road.  I'm particularly curious about how it will be to run a CVT on the sand.  They drive differently as it stands, so off-road should be interesting.  Not planning on anything wild as I am fully aware that it's not a dedicated beach buggy/jeep/truck/etc.  Just family hauling and fishing...so I'll stay out of areas I have no business getting into.

Thank you!

-Buckmark22

First mile or so of Carova beach you should be fine but elsewhere  have a tow truck phone number with you. If I recall this  series Pathy only has about 5.5" clearance ,which is just enough to get you into trouble but not out. 

Nice crossover for the road and snow, but bad for the beach, CV trans is not built to handle soft sand. Did the salesman say she was beach ready with AWD and a CVT ?. Besides most beaches you need a minimum of 7" GC.

I’ve had no problems with my pathfinder. Air down and go. I also have a 2019 it’s a good family vehicle and it handles the beach ok. I drive on south shore Long Island beaches with it you will be ok. 

I would check with the warranty on the trans, It will move on the beach, till you have a problem. When you do it will be a big problem with the CVT. I have had cars with CV's in them. CVT's work off of drive belts in the trans, they will start to slip after awhile, then you don't move. It's not even a real 4 x 4 system. You may get away with it for awhile, but then it will catch up to you. Nothing beats a real rear wheel 4 x 4 system. Good luck.

Like we said you may make it, but what damage are you doing to it on the long run. Tran, you have a real nice LC. It's a real 4 x 4. You won't have any problems, but there's a big difference from yours to a new pf. Between the two I'd rather have yours.

Ok....lots to digest and then clear-up here so far.

The 19 pathfinder has 7" of ground clearance to the lowest element.  The bottom of the unibody (yea, I know) is higher.   It does not have 5" of clearance as stated above.

The 19 pathfinder can act like an AWD when you put it into Automatic 4x4, but it also has a locked mode that drives the front and back axles full-time.  I know better than to try to run it in automatic (basically AWD) in anything other than snow.

Otherwise, thank you for the feedback.

If it has a lock mode where you can eliminate the slippage and thus the heat build up you should be ok. Not sure if the lock mode you mention is actually locking the CVT or the differential on the transfer case though. Two different animals.