Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRT

Changing the handle on fly reels?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Most of my reels are Danielsson, which I really like but find the handle too small and fiddly. So I would like to swap the handles for ones that are more comfortable and longer. Has anyone done this on your reels, Danielsson or not?

Edited by JRT

Yes, I purchased a larger handle from Tibor and to install it, you need to reach the screw on the inside of the reel which may be covered by the backing. I had to remove some backing so I could locate the screw. Using a small screwdriver, reach through the port holes of the reel opposite the screw with your screwdriver, depending on the reel model, remove the screw and old handle and install new handle.Easy to do.

It should be changeable. I also know of quite a  few people that have modified the original handle on their Dani's by adding shrink tubing on it. The type of tubing that has some adhesive inside. 

5 hours ago, slip n slide said:

will a larger handle balance w/ the counterweight or will it wobble on a vigorously running fish?

I notice no difference since installing the larger Tibor handle.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've done exactly this by replacing the handle on my newer L5W 6/9 with the larger handle from the older LW 8/10....You will have to put a slight chamfer on the spool side of the handle, it will rub ever so slightly on the palming rim...I just "carefully" chucked the handle in a drill and used sandpaper to add a larger chamfer.

Forgot to mention that I ordered the larger handles direct from Danielsson

Edited by ItsNotLuck

I emailed Tomas @ Danielsson and he confirmed that the handles on the 9thirteen were the largest they did.

So I’ll try the tibor handle and the nautilus big game handles and let you know.

Update - the Nautilus Big Handles work great on the larger Dani’s and fit the original handle internals and screw. 

Slightly longer and a much more comfortable shape IMO.