ridenfish

Inflatable fishing kayak?

24 posts in this topic

As much as I want a Hobie, I won't be able to get my suv in the garage if it has a roof rack on it.  Anyone here freshwater fish out of an inflatable? I see a bunch of reviews on Youtube but I'd rather get real world experience from people here.  It would be for a couple local lakes and floating the Delaware river (when its at a reasonable flow rate )

I like the idea of being able to leave it in my hatch all the time, I am concerned about durability but from what I've seen some of them are pretty tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, kype said:

personally i wouldnt. maybe spend alittle more for a used non inflatable kayak. 

I can afford the Hobie, I just won't be able to get my suv in the garage with a rack on the roof. The ceiling is really low.

I like the idea of easy transport too.

And as much as I would like to fish the ocean with one I doubt I ever would especially because the conditions need to be perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my kayak, I just take the racks on and off as necessary (the cradle style racks).  I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but they only take a few minutes to set up and keeps me from worrying about if someone will steal them.

 

I have an inflatable SUP that I use in freshwater pretty often and occasionally in the salt if it's calm enough.  It seems pretty durable, I would guess kayaks are made out of the same material.  It's a huge pain if you want to try getting it folded up enough to fit in the original bag, so I just fold it a few times for transporting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ridenfish said:

As much as I want a Hobie, I won't be able to get my suv in the garage if it has a roof rack on it. 

Have you considered folding down the seats & using a bed extender?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buddha, who posts here pretty often, has had a Hobie inflatable SUP for a few years now that works rather well in most environments in the tri-state area in both salt and skinny waters. PM him for real and honest feedback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 My bud has the Sea Eagle 350fx and its a nice boat. It's slower than most hard shells but not by too much. It paddles well and tracks straight. Has tons of space you can stand up in it and it's rated to class IV rapids and you can mount a trolling motor if you want

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What sort of SUV are we talking? My buddy with a CRV transports his Native Slayer 10 in the back with the seats down and the trunk door almost closes completely. I drive a suburban and could get most of my Titan 12 in if need be, but generally get out with my wife and we trailer our rigs. If you have a hitch you could find a bed extender that would probably work with supporting and leaving the back door partially open with most kayaks. The idea of an inflatable scares me with how many times I’ve hit my kayak with a rigged soft plastic missing a hookset or working it when stuck. Apologize if you are set on an inflatable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ridenfish said:

I can afford the Hobie, I just won't be able to get my suv in the garage with a rack on the roof. The ceiling is really low.

I like the idea of easy transport too.

And as much as I would like to fish the ocean with one I doubt I ever would especially because the conditions need to be perfect.

 

2 hours ago, Africaster said:

Buddha, who posts here pretty often, has had a Hobie inflatable SUP for a few years now that works rather well in most environments in the tri-state area in both salt and skinny waters. PM him for real and honest feedback

 

Funny this thread pops up today...as I just suffered my first real failure with my i11s. I was into fish and didn't notice right away...thought I was sitting a little strange, listing to port, looked down and the left pontoon was deflated about half way. Pedaled the mile +/- back to launch w/o issue. First notable puncture in 3 years, the only other time was porgy spines and those holes were microscopic in comparison. Will try to find out wtf happened tomorrow. 

 

@ridenfish, I have no complaints about the Hobie i11s, and we are in exactly the same situation re low garage roof. I chose this inflatable bc I wanted pedals and a high seat. For freshwater (esp the new ones with 180 mirage drive) it is perfect. I don't surf launch but LIS/RB/Jbay is no issue, weather permitting obviously. It's not the fastest kayak but it gets the job done. I wouldn't leave it in a hot car however, mine is mostly stored at room temp. Any questions ask away or PM me, good luck with your decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GuitarGuy said:

What sort of SUV are we talking? My buddy with a CRV transports his Native Slayer 10 in the back with the seats down and the trunk door almost closes completely. I drive a suburban and could get most of my Titan 12 in if need be, but generally get out with my wife and we trailer our rigs. If you have a hitch you could find a bed extender that would probably work with supporting and leaving the back door partially open with most kayaks. The idea of an inflatable scares me with how many times I’ve hit my kayak with a rigged soft plastic missing a hookset or working it when stuck. Apologize if you are set on an inflatable.

The thought never even crossed my mind that you can fold the seats and open the hatch.  I have a hitch too for my bike rack.  

How do you keep the hatch partially open?  It’s gotta be noisy as hell on a long drive. And what bed extender do I get?  I’ll have to look that up.  It’s a Mazda CX-5 btw.  

Now a Hobie is back on my radar.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I haven’t transported my yak this way but my buddy uses a piece of insulation foam to rest the rear door against the hull, and runs a kayak  cam style strap around his hitch and his door has a convenient handle he loops around. As for the extender I’m not sure which he uses but it seems from a brief search that many are height adjustable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm concerned about the legality of having 6' of kayak sticking out of the back of my suv with a rope holding the gate closed. In NJ cops look for the slightest reason to give you a ticket. I guess you need to put a flag on it?

I can probably use my bike rack as the extender and rig something up.

Now I need to look for a Hobie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ridenfish said:

I'm concerned about the legality of having 6' of kayak sticking out of the back of my suv with a rope holding the gate closed. In NJ cops look for the slightest reason to give you a ticket. I guess you need to put a flag on it?

I can probably use my bike rack as the extender and rig something up.

Now I need to look for a Hobie

Anything overhanging beyond 4' needs a flag in just about any state.... night time driving, they want a flag & lights...

 

Guys with 5' pickup beds & 13' kayaks have 8' overhang using bed extenders all the time..

 

 Most of us go the harbor freight bed extender route, cheap enough & gets the job done...for night time driving i fabricated a mount & got a 28 dollar trailer light kit that i mounted on the stern ..... works well.

 

Here's a link to your state on over hangs.....

 

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-39/section-39-3-61.4/

 

 

Edited by BillZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ridenfish said:

I'm concerned about the legality of having 6' of kayak sticking out of the back of my suv with a rope holding the gate closed. In NJ cops look for the slightest reason to give you a ticket. I guess you need to put a flag on it?

I can probably use my bike rack as the extender and rig something up.

Now I need to look for a Hobie

I've been transporting my Hobie PA12 inside a Ford explorer for the past 7 years, with a truck bed extender (from Harbor Freight).  I leave the back hatch up.  Done many long distance trips (Cape Cod, Boston, CT) without any difficulty.  I have a flag on the end of the truck bed extender.   There is a bit of extra noise, but I don't find it a problem.  Its very easy to get the yak in/out of the truck.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.