Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drummerbeedude

10lb per ounce rule.

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So I just got a new rod, rated to 12 oz. is this rule true? Seems way overkill to put a 120lb shock leader on it. Personally, I’m kinda leaning towards 80lb. It’s a 12’ bass pro rod.

Guessing its rated from 8 to 12oz.. The original shock liter was just doubling your running line over the length of the rod. Old days.

17 to 20 running then 50 shock should do for casting

7 or 8oz. weight. If 10's are rolling down the beach due to weather, the day is over. 

It’s rated 6-12. I don’t think that’s realistic, but it will throw a ten with no problem. I got it hoping it would help cast larger baits further. Our tica and airwave elite don’t like 6+bunker head.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Try 7oz. and a chunk. More weight and less bait on the rig keeps it from walking down the beach in current. Also the right load

(spring) on the rod tip when casting gets its best distance on any rod.

Edited by 7nBait

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

So I just got a new rod, rated to 12 oz. is this rule true? Seems way overkill to put a 120lb shock leader on it. Personally, I’m kinda leaning towards 80lb. It’s a 12’ bass pro rod.

Now you know why some of us are opting to throw 8oz and a Bunker Head with LC Spinning, 50lb Braid and a 120lb Braid "Shock Leader" (Yes I know it is not a true shock leader, as it has no stretch).  There is a heck of a difference in casting 120lb Braid vice the giant Slinky of 120lb Mono.

My outfit for these payloads is a 12ft  St. Croix Premier rated 6-16oz matched up to a Shimano Big Baitrunner LC Reel from the UK. 

Edited by FlatWing

16 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

I think you're kinda confused.  The 10 lb per ounce "rule" pertains to the sinker weight, and not the rod rating.  Most of us use 50# big game for a shock leader for ANY sinker you're likely to throw from the beach.  And lots of big fish have been put on the beach with 15# big game but most use 17-20 running line like Gary said.  Can't think of a better combo than a 12 1/2 or 13' custom with a good conventional reel loaded with a quality mono topped with a 50# shocker.  And, like Gary said, if 10 won't do I'm off to the house.  I've thrown 14 oz sinkers but I ain't gonna do that again.  Good luck with your new rod.

I use braid shock leader on my spinning rigs. It’s just to prevent snap offs. I crank the drag down so it doesn’t slip and slice up my fingers. I tried switching the 4-8oz rig, tica tc2 to 80lb mono. Distance really suffered and I don’t like the feel, so I’m switching back to braid. That’s a spinning set up with 20lb braid, the set up in question is casting with 30 lb mono. Might respool with 20 though.

20 mins ago, SteveZ said:

I think you're kinda confused.  The 10 lb per ounce "rule" pertains to the sinker weight, and not the rod rating.  Most of us use 50# big game for a shock leader for ANY sinker you're likely to throw from the beach.  And lots of big fish have been put on the beach with 15# big game but most use 17-20 running line like Gary said.  Can't think of a better combo than a 12 1/2 or 13' custom with a good conventional reel loaded with a quality mono topped with a 50# shocker.  And, like Gary said, if 10 won't do I'm off to the house.  I've thrown 14 oz sinkers but I ain't gonna do that again.  Good luck with your new rod.

I know it pertains to sinker weight. The most I’m likely to cast is 10, but the option to do 12 could be good. Or not. I’ve never gotten above 8 before, and my current rods don’t do well with 8nbait. The question had to do with the real need to use 120lb shock leader with 12oz of weight. I’m looking to see if something lighter would survive a pendulum cast, say 80lb with 12? 50lb?

Another vote for 17# or 20# (0.40mm) running line with 50# Berkley Big Game shock leader for up to 10oz & bait. I will step up to 60# if I know am going to be throwing 10, 12, or occasionally 14oz constantly. Another thing to keep in mind with that kind of payload is to use a quality snap swivel (not the plastic sinker slides) to attach your sinker.

29 mins ago, AI GUY said:

Another vote for 17# or 20# (0.40mm) running line with 50# Berkley Big Game shock leader for up to 10oz & bait. I will step up to 60# if I know am going to be throwing 10, 12, or occasionally 14oz constantly. Another thing to keep in mind with that kind of payload is to use a quality snap swivel (not the plastic sinker slides) to attach your sinker.

I found these on Amazon. Seriously heavy duty, but they come at a price. No breakage so far, but I’m not sure if they are better than coastlock swivels. I’ve only used them up to 6 mostly, maybe the occasional 8. I’ll try one on a couple of rods and see what happens. The cheaper white one is there for reference.

A551EF11-B95A-4D1D-9833-AD2E80FB4228.jpeg

Steve knows stuff....just saying.

I use basically the same setup on all of my rods.  Smaller reels (6500 Abus/Penn fathom 15/Akios 666) get 15# Ande and 50# big game shock leader.  Larger reels (Abu7500s/Diawas) get 20# Ande and 50# big game.  When I toss big weights and heads (say sometime in late sept early Oct :)) I use an 80# rub leader of about 5'.  It acts as a rub leader (go figure) and it means my terminal connection is tied with 80# line, which handles the pressure of the coast lock snap swivel if an 8 or 10 oz sinker is attached better than 50#, which means I need to retie less frequently.

I use only mono.  30# mono running line is not needed.  Switch to 15 or 17 and you'll notice a huge difference.  You can put plenty of pressure on a fish with 15# line as long as it's undamaged and your knots are good.  If you notice any defect in the line, particularly in the fall, swap it out.  

BTW, a lot of what I learned came from that old dude from NC.....

So the answer is no, only need 50lb shock leader. I can’t remember the last time I spooled that reel, so I’m just going to respool it. I’ll put 17 and 50 on there. Need more fbbw and crab anyways, so a trip to Wally World is in order. My son wants to respool his baitcaster too, don’t know how he’s going to react to 17.

Thank you all for your help, I actually got more out of this thread than I thought I would. The rod is spooled with 15 lb big game and 50 lb big game shock leader. Haven’t had the chance to try it out yet, hope it all goes well.