Dogfisher1

Campground suggestions.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I want to take my wife and kids (8 &12), camping in a tent. I'm thinking northern New Jersey. I want very easy access to fishing. Taking kayaks. Would like to have the car near campsite. Anybody have any suggestions? A bathroom nearby would also be nice.

I was at Stokes State Forest during Memorial Day but I didn't get to do much fishing. I have a campsite booked at Worthington State Forest in early August which I am very excited for. This site is right on the Delaware River so that sounds like it would be exactly what you're asking for.

I like Worthington better than Stokes, myself.

Both are state lands, so alcohol is sposed to be prohibited, which you may appreciate with yer kids. There's a great place just down the road south of them, private on the river. Got a huge general store and a bar across the road from that, if yer lookin' to have that kinda fun, lol. Me and some buds once stayed ( decades ago ) for six weeks, and never started the trucks once til we left, lol.

But as I said, I now much prefer Worthington, over Stokes. I stay at one or the other at least once a year. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know you said north but in south at atzion lake there is everything you need.

if the link is not allowed, just google it.   enjoy

and 5 minutes away is one of the best wing places and family atmosphere.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/wsf_atsion_family_camp.pdf

•Some campground roads are one way. Observe posted signs. •Cutting and/or damaging trees and vegetation is prohibited. • Alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Contact the Wharton State Forest office at 609-561-0024 for further information. Remember to take your trash with you. KEEP WHARTON STATE FOREST CLEAN. ATSION FAMILY CAMPGROUND

Edited by coolhandfluke

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

I like Worthington better than Stokes, myself.

Both are state lands, so alcohol is sposed to be prohibited, which you may appreciate with yer kids. There's a great place just down the road south of them, private on the river. Got a huge general store and a bar across the road from that, if yer lookin' to have that kinda fun, lol. Me and some buds once stayed ( decades ago ) for six weeks, and never started the trucks once til we left, lol.

But as I said, I now much prefer Worthington, over Stokes. I stay at one or the other at least once a year.

Second Worthington...the place Ben mentioned (bolded) is called Delaware River Family Campground.

Edited by TimGil

Since they closed down the best campground in NJ, Bulls Island, Worthington has become the next best thing

The only stupid thing about the place is that you're not allowed to swim - not that anyone pays attention to that rule

On 6/26/2019 at 1:23 PM, Dogfisher1 said:

I want to take my wife and kids (8 &12), camping in a tent. I'm thinking northern New Jersey. I want very easy access to fishing. Taking kayaks. Would like to have the car near campsite. Anybody have any suggestions? A bathroom nearby would also be nice.

Panther lake Andover right off 206 no crazy long backroads....exceptional glamping and very good fishing....Lake only accessible by campers.  And it's a helluva lake....fishes 2 completely different ways... big basin fish shorline for bass and pics or deep for some massive trout....the massive fingers fish exceptionally for massive pickeral and bass...