Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

How to clean

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

old fresh water plugs that have a whitish powdery on them . Some of these are collectables, but looking for a solution that is permanent  

Than k  you

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Carl, any ides of what the whitish powder is?

Mikey I have cleaned them before with a liquid and let dry and the same chalky sub stains comes back every time . I can remove it by wiping them with a towel, but it still comes back ]Perhaps not dry enough in my storage place? I keep the dehumidifier going all of the time 

Well If its a base you can probably remove it by wiping it with a mild acid, like vinegar or lemon juice, if its an acid you can probable get it off with a mild solution of Baking soda and water.

Are you talking about white powder like on this lure?  I don’t have a solution to get it off but I think it may be from being stored near soft plastic or rubber baits. 

F13B707F-5DCF-4899-9A81-E7CE2726C9DD.jpeg

13 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Well If its a base you can probably remove it by wiping it with a mild acid, like vinegar or lemon juice, if its an acid you can probable get it off with a mild solution of Baking soda and water.

I will try that thanks mike

12 hours ago, capesams said:

creek chub plastic poppers always get the same white power..it's like white mold....after cleaning try spraying them with pledge spray wax...

Steve will that affect the hooks by spraying with pledge / Thanks

14 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Mikey I have cleaned them before with a liquid and let dry and the same chalky sub stains comes back every time . I can remove it by wiping them with a towel, but it still comes back ]Perhaps not dry enough in my storage place? I keep the dehumidifier going all of the time 

Carl...do this as an experiment

Try applying a very small amount, the size of your finger tip, of petroleum jelly to the chalky surface. Rub it in and dab the excess off.  See if the substance disappears.

I think what is happening is the dryness is causing the substance to appear.  To counter this, you must not expose the surface to air.....so by using the Vaseline, you are in effect preventing air from reaching the surface.  I suppose a similar type of  oil based product that adheres to the plug will also work. 

The application of Pledge as described by capesams would be a similar alternative.   You need not spray it on directly. Spray it on your finger and apply it to the plug using your finger(s).   

If this does work, apply a light coat of Vaseline to the plug, wipe it off thoroughly but too thoroughly that you wipe it completely off.  Will not affect the fishability of the plug. 

Let us know.   

14 mins ago, Joe G said:

Carl...do this as an experiment

Try applying a very small amount, the size of your finger tip, of petroleum jelly to the chalky surface. Rub it in and dab the excess off.  See if the substance disappears.

I think what is happening is the dryness is causing the substance to appear.  To counter this, you must not expose the surface to air.....so by using the Vaseline, you are in effect preventing air from reaching the surface.  I suppose a similar type of  oil based product that adheres to the plug will also work. 

The application of Pledge as described by capesams would be a similar alternative.   You need not spray it on directly. Spray it on your finger and apply it to the plug using your finger(s).   

If this does work, apply a light coat of Vaseline to the plug, wipe it off thoroughly but too thoroughly that you wipe it completely off.  Will not affect the fishability of the plug. 

Let us know.   

And yet another use for Vaseline.

I think it's just the old plastic that is breaking down or reacting to the air.  It usually wipes off easily, and stays off for quite a while before returning.  I have no ideas about what to coat the lure with to keep it from happening again.

Carl....I spray it on all hardware....no problems...even my best vintage plugs.

I get the feeling when they were making certain plugs they over did on the oil content when making plastic an rubber...mold lives to eat an grow on oil.