R.R. Bridge Fisher

Reel grinding a bit,

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I did a 4.7:1 gear conversation on this 6000c.

All is good i am happy yet when i engage the spool after the cast the first 1/4 turn is not smooth and it grinds a bit then works just fine.

All works great casting,drag,reeling after that point.  I was wondering if the new gears had to mesh in a little but after using its still the same. Should i pull it apart and grease all the gears up?

Its not the end of the world but if it can be corrected i would like to try.....

Thanks for any info on this....

Screenshot_20190626-092903_Gallery.jpg

Your pinion gear has 4 slots, it take roughly 1/4 handle rotation before the pin on the spool fully engaged in the slot the pinion. If you feel the engage took too long, check the face of of pinion gear and the spool pin for damages. In case you don't know already, don't use the reel handle to engage the reel while the lure is in flight, especially for big heavy bait. 

2 hours ago, hobobob said:

Your pinion gear has 4 slots, it take roughly 1/4 handle rotation before the pin on the spool fully engaged in the slot the pinion. If you feel the engage took too long, check the face of of pinion gear and the spool pin for damages. In case you don't know already, don't use the reel handle to engage the reel while the lure is in flight, especially for big heavy bait. 

Ok thanks a lot......:howdy:

Did you just change the main gear or main gear and pinion? When ya do a gear conversion, both the main and pinion must be changed to be compatible. 

25 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Did you just change the main gear or main gear and pinion? When ya do a gear conversion, both the main and pinion must be changed to be compatible. 

I did both, it was a set

How about the drive shaft shim # 975156, ( washer that sits at bottom of main gear shaft )..

Also, did you put the C- lock clip # 975300..back on the end of the shaft..( after handle is installed, and before the handle nut.)

10 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I did both, it was a set

ok,

With those older 6000's, the pinion had to sit in the pinion gear keeper in a certain position. If the pinion was not in that slot properly the pinion would not sit true. 

I haven't worked on one of those in years, but I remember this being an issue.

2 hours ago, jimmy z said:

ok,

With those older 6000's, the pinion had to sit in the pinion gear keeper in a certain position. If the pinion was not in that slot properly the pinion would not sit true. 

I haven't worked on one of those in years, but I remember this being an issue.

So if not in the slot properly would it not work  all or would it be my situation? 

7 hours ago, CDubbs said:

How about the drive shaft shim # 975156, ( washer that sits at bottom of main gear shaft )..

Also, did you put the C- lock clip # 975300..back on the end of the shaft..( after handle is installed, and before the handle nut.)

I believe that all is proper but i will double check. 

Thank you

Easy enough to strip down and put back together... sometimes that's all it takes. Maybe just a miss alignment... Also check the main gear Shaft for movement... I've seen that shaft loosen up from the brake plate and cause miss alignment.. Should be solid/ tight..no movement.

7 hours ago, CDubbs said:

Easy enough to strip down and put back together... sometimes that's all it takes. Maybe just a miss alignment... Also check the main gear Shaft for movement... I've seen that shaft loosen up from the brake plate and cause miss alignment.. Should be solid/ tight..no movement.

Thank you

10 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So if not in the slot properly would it not work  all or would it be my situation? 

There is a tiny , notched plastic piece that the pionion gear fits into on the pinion gear keeper, on those older reels. The pinion will not fit true if in in place properly.