Heron25

which chevy engine?

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Deciding on a new Silverado as a third vehicle.  Deciding between the 6.2 or 5.3.  Won't be towing anything above 5000 pounds, crew cab short bed.  I lease for three years, but wouldn't mind the extra power in the 6.2.  Which engine is less troublesome?  I'm not a huge American car guy, last few I've had gave me trouble, but willing to give Chevy a try this time around.  Won't put more than 7500 miles on it per year.  Thoughts?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes, but don't want to deal with shop trips constantly.  I may consider buying it at lease end if it's not problematic.

Edited by Heron25

Go with the 5.3.

The 6.2 is a gas pig if you don't need the extra power and torque on a regular basis.

BTW, you should rent one for a week and drive it.

Some people find the transmission very annoying as it constantly shifts trying to maintain an RPM for maximum fuel efficiency.

Also don't forget this is a first year for the new redesign on the Silverado.

I went from an 8.1 (2004 Suburban 2500) to a 5.3 (2005 Suburban 1500), and I'd never go back. The smaller engine does everything I need, and gets double the gas mileage.

I just went through a two-week stretch where I put about 1,200 miles on that heap. Two school trips, a roller derby trip to Ithaca, and a couple of trips to the beach. My gas bill was bad enough -- I kinda shudder thinking what it'd have been with my old Suburban, that gas guzzler.

7 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Go with the 5.3.

The 6.2 is a gas pig if you don't need the extra power and torque on a regular basis.

BTW, you should rent one for a week and drive it.

Some people find the transmission very annoying as it constantly shifts trying to maintain an RPM for maximum fuel efficiency.

Also don't forget this is a first year for the new redesign on the Silverado.

I actually had to take my wagon in for crash repairs and had a Silverado for a week.  Wasn't bad.  Base model obviously, but got used to the space.  I'm going to test both the Silverado and the Yukon.  Looking at the LT Trail Boss if I go with the 5.3 or a Sierra AT4 package.  

Sounds like the smaller v8 is the option.  Regarding redesign, I figure the engine and transmission have been around for a while, so shouldn't be any new issues.  I'm good at regular maintenance and staying on top of it.

The 5.3 has plenty of power for daily driving. Trucks are very different than American cars. The trucks, for the most part are actually built well. 

I had a GMC Savannah 3500 with a 4.8 V8... What a dog lol! That was my company trying to save money. For how we outfitted and the added weight on the 3500, it should have had at least a 5.3 but probably more like a 6.2. 

Cool. Thanks guys. 

Would you guys do the cat back exhaust upgrade?  Extra 10hp and 6lb torque for $2100.

Edited by Heron25