ecks

Conventional Inlet/Jetty Reel thoughts

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I just center it[lexa-400] and then cast,after a while it becomes second nature and you do it so fast theres really no time loss.

HH

Last time out the Lexa’s thumb bar started to become hard to return with a handle crank so I started manually lifting it up with my thumb. Ever happen to yours?

11 hours ago, ecks said:

Last time out the Lexa’s thumb bar started to become hard to return with a handle crank so I started manually lifting it up with my thumb. Ever happen to yours?

There is some chance that the brass pinion gear is starting to seize to the stainless shaft (it slides back and forth on the shaft when you engage/disengage with the thumb bar) and wants a little oil. I have had this happen on other low profile baitcasters.  It generally gets worse, then corrodes solidly to the shaft while in storage if not addressed.

13 hours ago, ecks said:

no,never.

I did alan tani's pretrip prep before it ever went near water and I maintain that plan.

I know when it  is time to do a clean,grease on it,the IAR starts to squeak.

the mech for the thumbar gets a good slathering of mobil blue grease as well as the rest of the reel minus the bearings which get a single drop of 3-in-1 oil or light hydraulic oil.

if salt gets all around that mech,the bar will become stiff.

also,washing it after use I run warm water into the holes where the bar goes through the frame so it gets rinsed out very well.

stand it up in the corner and those same holes allow it to drain well.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, FatTailWagging said:

There is some chance that the brass pinion gear is starting to seize to the stainless shaft (it slides back and forth on the shaft when you engage/disengage with the thumb bar) and wants a little oil. I have had this happen on other low profile baitcasters.  It generally gets worse, then corrodes solidly to the shaft while in storage if not addressed.

in my lexa there is just one gear,it looks to be bronze[levelwind gear] due to it's darker color,my pinion is stainless as is the drive gear.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

My vote is for the Daiwa Saltist Levelwind, probably in the 20 size for your fluking application.  I use the 30 size loaded with 65lb power Pro for fishing the Point Pleasant Canal in NJ.  Fastest Level Wind reel I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot).  If I were to ever convert to a level wind for surf chunking, this would be my choice. Forcast control in the canal I have stacked 2 large mags (would have to look at the size I settled on) in a static position on the inside of the left side plate, with the bottom one glued in.  For the surf I would remove the top mag and load the reel with 50lb Power Pro with an appropriate sized mono shock leader, spliced on with Power Pro Hollow Ace.