ecks

Conventional Inlet/Jetty Reel thoughts

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I like to Fluke from Inlets & Jetties. I’m 

usually slinging 2-4 oz sinkers dragging 

strip bait. I like a long rod and go for distance. I recently purchased a Penn 

Battalion 11’ 2-6 oz rod and like it. 

I recently tested my 3 best casting reels 

over 2 fish outings. Here’s my thoughts. 

 

Ambassaduer 6500CS Mag Elite (levelwind)  with 30lb PowerPro. Easily my best caster but with 3oz sinker and pulling against a moving tide you really have to crank down drag to stop from slipping. Another con is the mag slider

is right where I palm the reel and I’m always moving it inadvertently. 

 

Old Penn 525GS (not mag) with 2 of 4

centrifugal brakes on. 50 lb PowerPro. 

Casts second best and although level winding with finger does get easier over 

time it becomes a pain and my fingers get waterlogged and wrinkled. This reel would be my top choice if I was soaking baits not hour after hour casting and retrieving. 

 

Daiwa Lexa 400 (original model) 50lb 

PowerPro. Smooth, fast ratio and large power handle and is a dream to cast and retrieve all day. Only Con I feel is the disengaging levelwind. If you cast 

when the levelwind is to one side and 

not in the middle you can really feel and hear the line ripping across the spool. I

wish they would make a model with non 

disengaging levelwind. 

 

So so I guess my perfect reel would be 

something like a Lexa 400 with a non 

disengaging level wind. 

Does one exist ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I have been using for the surf and most of my fishing is the Penn 350 that has a spiral bar that lays the line down across the spool evenly.... And most important it is very strong and can handle fish from Blues to Sharks.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

What I have been using for the surf and most of my fishing is the Penn 350 that has a spiral bar that lays the line down across the spool evenly.... And most important it is very strong and can handle fish from Blues to Sharks.. 

Convench? Squiddah or Abu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, D1fishr said:

Convench? Squiddah or Abu.

The Penn 350 is a conventional reel that is about the size of a Squider and when you cast the spool goes into real free spool as if there was no levelwind function on the reel... It was a reel that was manufactured with superior technology...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have all those reels, except my Penn 525 is the mag version. The Lexa really is a sweet, do it all reel. You could bump up the Abu to the 7000 size. Simple answer, cast the Lexa when the LW is center court!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, cheech said:

I have all those reels, except my Penn 525 is the mag version. The Lexa really is a sweet, do it all reel. You could bump up the Abu to the 7000 size. Simple answer, cast the Lexa when the LW is center court!

I had the Abu 7000C years ago and regrettably sold it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, ecks said:

I like to Fluke from Inlets & Jetties. I’m 

usually slinging 2-4 oz sinkers dragging 

strip bait. I like a long rod and go for distance. I recently purchased a Penn 

Battalion 11’ 2-6 oz rod and like it. 

I recently tested my 3 best casting reels 

over 2 fish outings. Here’s my thoughts. 

 

Ambassaduer 6500CS Mag Elite (levelwind)  with 30lb PowerPro. Easily my best caster but with 3oz sinker and pulling against a moving tide you really have to crank down drag to stop from slipping. Another con is the mag slider

is right where I palm the reel and I’m always moving it inadvertently. 

 

Old Penn 525GS (not mag) with 2 of 4

centrifugal brakes on. 50 lb PowerPro. 

Casts second best and although level winding with finger does get easier over 

time it becomes a pain and my fingers get waterlogged and wrinkled. This reel would be my top choice if I was soaking baits not hour after hour casting and retrieving. 

 

Daiwa Lexa 400 (original model) 50lb 

PowerPro. Smooth, fast ratio and large power handle and is a dream to cast and retrieve all day. Only Con I feel is the disengaging levelwind. If you cast 

when the levelwind is to one side and 

not in the middle you can really feel and hear the line ripping across the spool. I

wish they would make a model with non 

disengaging levelwind. 

 

So so I guess my perfect reel would be 

something like a Lexa 400 with a non 

disengaging level wind. 

Does one exist ?

 

Easy, Okuma Komodo 471SS.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, ecks said:

Good to know. I assumed Komodo

was disengaging like the others. 

 

Yeap, the Komodo has a non-disengaging levelwind

 

Only down side of the non-disengaging levelwind is that if you reel all the line onto the spool you need to resync the line lay with the levelwind when rethreading the levelwind.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

Yeap, the Komodo has a non-disengaging levelwind

 

Only down side of the non-disengaging levelwind is that if you reel all the line onto the spool you need to resync the line lay with the levelwind when rethreading the levelwind.

Thx. Is the 471 closer in size to the 

Lexa 300 or 400?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 471SS and Lexa 400 are the same physical size for the most part, the Lexa has a longer frame while the Komodo is slightly wider. Boh reels also have the same size main gears.

 

The differance is that the Komodo 471SS can hold 300yds of 65lb braid vs just under 300yds of 50lb braid for the Lexa 400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:40 AM, ecks said:

I like to Fluke from Inlets & Jetties. I’m 

usually slinging 2-4 oz sinkers dragging 

strip bait. I like a long rod and go for distance. I recently purchased a Penn 

Battalion 11’ 2-6 oz rod and like it. 

I recently tested my 3 best casting reels 

over 2 fish outings. Here’s my thoughts. 

 

Ambassaduer 6500CS Mag Elite (levelwind)  with 30lb PowerPro. Easily my best caster but with 3oz sinker and pulling against a moving tide you really have to crank down drag to stop from slipping. Another con is the mag slider

is right where I palm the reel and I’m always moving it inadvertently. 

 

Old Penn 525GS (not mag) with 2 of 4

centrifugal brakes on. 50 lb PowerPro. 

Casts second best and although level winding with finger does get easier over 

time it becomes a pain and my fingers get waterlogged and wrinkled. This reel would be my top choice if I was soaking baits not hour after hour casting and retrieving. 

 

Daiwa Lexa 400 (original model) 50lb 

PowerPro. Smooth, fast ratio and large power handle and is a dream to cast and retrieve all day. Only Con I feel is the disengaging levelwind. If you cast 

when the levelwind is to one side and 

not in the middle you can really feel and hear the line ripping across the spool. I

wish they would make a model with non 

disengaging levelwind. 

 

So so I guess my perfect reel would be 

something like a Lexa 400 with a non 

disengaging level wind. 

Does one exist ?

I just center it[lexa-400] and then cast,after a while it becomes second nature and you do it so fast theres really no time loss.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.