The 2 Week Fisher

Which is better? Braid or Co-Polymer?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So I was chatting with someone about surf fishing, and he said that he uses a Co-polymer line for a couple reasons. Casts better, as well as stretches more vs dragging in the current. Any truth to this? Also, is the diameter of a co-polymer thinner than Flouro or Mono? Anyone have experience with co-polymer? 

Braid casts further than coploymer. Copolymer behaves just like mono. I still like mono for diamond jigging from a boat, live bait fishing for striped bass and bluefish and certain freshwater applications. I would not recommend for casting lures in the surf.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Copolymers tend to be thinner than regular mono. 

Thinner line casts better than thicker like. Because braid has a higher strength to diameter ratio, "heavier" line  will cast as well as mono of a lower test. If you compare braid and mono of the same diameter, they both cast the same. 

Stretch is a consideration if you are using a fast rod and a high speed reel, because you have to have a cushion in your system somewhere, but a more moderate rod or backing off your drag (some) would allow you the same surge protection. Copolymers stretch about the same as mono with a smaller diameter, which is what he is saying. 

Generally bait fishermen prefer mono type lines for a variety of reasons. You were given good advice.   

Edited by Sweetwater

51 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

Copolymers tend to be thinner than regular mono. 

Thinner line casts better than thicker like. Because braid has a higher strength to diameter ratio, "heavier" line  will cast as well as mono of a lower test. If you compare braid and mono of the same diameter, they both cast the same. 

Stretch is a consideration if you are using a fast rod and a high speed reel, because you have to have a cushion in your system somewhere, but a more moderate rod or backing off your drag (some) would allow you the same surge protection. Copolymers stretch about the same as mono with a smaller diameter, which is what he is saying. 

Generally bait fishermen prefer mono type lines for a variety of reasons. You were given good advice.   

Thanks for that! Thinking of trying out a Co-Polymer this year. I’ll be in your neck of the woods in October. We rent a house in Murrells inlet every fall. 

I use Stren Magna-Thin (which is, I believe, a co-polymer) on my Crack 300/Luxor 300 reels - 14lb Test with a shock leader of approx. 25ft on my 11ft Lami S-Glass and Honey Yellow Fenwick Surf Plugging rods. Shock leader is formed by doubling the line with a Spider Hitch.

On my conventional bait outfits, I prefer Suffix Siege or Elite Monofilament in Hi Visibility Tangerine/Neon Yellow, respectively and 14lb test on my Penn 525 Mag reels.  I recently went to Momoi Hi-Catch 20lb test on my 7000c3ct Abu, which is my Heaver/Shark outfit.  I am concerned that the Stren Magna Thin might tend to dig in on the conventional reelss.. On these outfits I attach a 10lb test/ounce Berkley Big Game mono shock leader by doubling a short length of the main line with a spider hitch and attaching the shock leader with an 11 turn Worm knot.

Hope this helps

Break down the word.  Co Polymer.  It means that there are two types of polymer that they extrude together to make the line.  Comparing Braid to Co is the same as comparing Braid to Mono or flouro.

btw, MONO means one filament extruded with one type of polymer.

Co-polymer lines are often softer and more subject to damage than typical mono.  (Textbook:  Izor XXX vs. Ande Premium.)  I gave up on co-polymer after experiencing several breaks exactly at the swivel that the line was tied to.  It seems that pulling the knot tight caused the swivel to cut into the soft line.  This was 20 lb. XXX with Spro swivels, not some badly finished cheapies. YMMV.

I use several kinds of mono and copolymer lines.

the copolymer line by cabelas salt striker is decent line,thinner than reg mono,lower memory as well.

I have it on my 7000 abu's and shimano Calcutta 700-b.

it casts well,stretches somewhat less than reg mono and it does not soak up water.

I buy bulk spools when they put them on sale. from 15-40lb.

is it better than braid,in some ways but def not all.

HH