WeeHooker

How do you carry your flies?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

So my faithful Orvis Shoulder bag hs about had it after near 30 years of use in SW flyfishing ( beach's and estuaries mostly). I really liked this bag as it was simple, compact, held 2 large fly box's and had no metal parts to rust.   Seems that while plug bags are still popular for beach fishing, fly bags are a thing of the past.   Everythng  I see now is going towards chest  and sling packs.   unless I can find something similar, I'm going to have to addapt. So what are you folks using to carry your flies into the salt these days? Thoughts and recommendations appreciated. 

IMG_fly bag (1).jpg

I went to a sling pack a few years ago and wish I had one 20 years ago. It is very comfortable and holds everything I need. I use the orvis one but there are a bunch of good ones. 

53 mins ago, Kml said:

I went to a sling pack a few years ago and wish I had one 20 years ago. It is very comfortable and holds everything I need. I use the orvis one but there are a bunch of good ones. 

I was looking at the Orvis sling pack. Seems nicely featured but it also seems big . (What I have now is 12x9x4). I tend to wade belly button deep at times and worry that it would sit to low ( ie in the water) given it's large size. How  high does it sit on your back? 

It sits probably a few inches above my waist I guess.  I don't usually find myself wading deep so it has not been an issue for me. The larger size has come in handy for me. I can shove a rain jacket and a camera in the larger pocket if I need to for a longer day. 

1 hour ago, Kml said:

It sits probably a few inches above my waist I guess.  I don't usually find myself wading deep so it has not been an issue for me. The larger size has come in handy for me. I can shove a rain jacket and a camera in the larger pocket if I need to for a longer day. 

Thanks for that input. 

Sandwich sized freezer bag.  I buy generic as they are less expensive than "real" ziplocs....  About a dozen flies in a bag in my pocket, a spool of 20 lb fluoro, couple of cigars, lighter, cutter, headlamp if I am out late...  My pliers with cutters are on the belt to my basket and a I have a knife on my wader belt.

I was impressed by Vedadoo's sling packs & have tried them in the hopes that they (or anyone on SOL) might be able to retrofit or build a sling pack.

The sling pack needs to be easily moved to the front, have reasonable storage & also carry a 5lb Oxygen Concentrator.

Anyone got any pointers or sewing expertise ???

Patagonia Stormfront sling, fully waterproof...pricey but the best I've used.  Plenty of room for flies, water bottle, rain coat....Used to use an Orvis guide sling but kept getting stuff wet in the surf.

I can usually take everything I need in the shirt pockets of an Ex Officio ands a small waist pack if the target area and species is known. If I'm taking the whole catastrophe we're talking a caravan with bearers.  

Orvis guide slings are great. Plastic zippers so little to no chance for corrosion. I now fish a waterproof orvis, also great but a bit harder to use and more expensive cause I hate washing flies 

Thanks for the input. After some thought, I think I'll give a sling pack a try. Likely an Orvis Passage but possably a FishPond Summit as I would preffer something on the smaller side. I don't fish the surf much these days so I'll skip the waterproof feature for this experiment. 

Plan B may be to have a new shoulder type bag made similar to the aged Orvis .