Chunkah

The Colitis

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Apparently I have some form of it and will need to adjust my diet accordingly. Anyone else have it and have tips for successful management of symptoms? 

Alcohol, caffeine, red meat, and spicy foods all appear to be no no's, which makes me sad.

Edited by Chunkah

Don't know your age but I was in my early thirties when I suddenly had colitis.  I first followed my doctor's orders with pills and diet.  Didn't help.  Happened to talk to one of Sinatra's sax players with similar problems who said his Las Vegas doctor told him to eat plenty of salads, the exact opposite of what I had been told.  My wife also suggested that I drink red wine.  I've been fine every since.  Knock on wood.  I guess what you need to do is flush yourself out and then relax, especially if stress is a factor.  Everyone is different. Good luck.

GAPS diet. My sister had to do it to repair her gut from damage done by an ailment she suffered for a while. It’s not exciting by any means, but it does work. 

59 mins ago, Chunkah said:

Apparently I have some form of it and will need to adjust my diet accordingly. Anyone else have it and have tips for successful management of symptoms? 

Alcohol, caffeine, red meat, and spicy foods all appear to be no no's, which makes me sad.

That doesn't sound like fun at all. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ulceritive colitis It is inflamation of the large  intestines.

Chrome is inflammation of the small intestine cuases??

UC -Your autoimmune system attacks the lining , dont know why, geniuses havent figured it out yet, seemed to be heridatiry, is it the same ? They fall under inflammatory bowl disease.

Med's work very well for UC I have it, and now going thru a flare up triggered by food poisoning from fish in a restaurant.  Dude it is a mthreffer. Waiting on my pharmacy to send me the steroid and extra mesalamine, to help calm down the flare up, to get back to normal, diet is always good idea, but, my UC don't matter, food has no bearing, everyone Is different. Chrons I understand food and drink play a big part.

Stress can play a big part, if you want  to PM me go ahead, but, plenty info on the web, the ads sux.

Edited by Snaps

I had UC about 30 years ago. They told me it was chronic and had me eat too many football sized pills every day. I decided I didn't have time for UC, what with the diabetes and all. Figured bubbles would fix it. I stopped taking the pills and drank 2 liters of Diet Coke everyday. It worked..The doctors were flabbergasted. I haven't had any symptoms for 30 years. I still drink a lot of carbonated soda, lately IBC Diet Root Beer.  Bubbles keep me healthy.

This is all true, not a joke, but it might not work for normal people.

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

Try the Mucil

Ask your doc first, may have you on the biwk more than you would like.

50 mins ago, Stewie said:

I had UC about 30 years ago. They told me it was chronic and had me eat too many football sized pills every day. I decided I didn't have time for UC, what with the diabetes and all. Figured bubbles would fix it. I stopped taking the pills and drank 2 liters of Diet Coke everyday. It worked..The doctors were flabbergasted. I haven't had any symptoms for 30 years. I still drink a lot of carbonated soda, lately IBC Diet Root Beer.  Bubbles keep me healthy.

This is all true, not a joke, but it might not work for normal people.

WOW, that is amazing, I hear stress is one of the highest contribute factor,  did you have a Colonoscopy to verify that you had UC?

I did and have to go every 2 years, and yes med is mesalamine 4 pills a day eff me.

Alchohol, beer, food dont bother me, only during flare up, the meds have made my quality life much better.

13 hours ago, Chunkah said:

Alcohol, caffeine, red meat, and spicy foods all appear to be no no's, which makes me sad

You should see if you can get bit by the tick that makes you hate meat.  :shrug:

13 hours ago, Chunkah said:

Try stopping carbs, and smoke weed, seriously some Docs will suggest weed helps with the inflammation

Edited by Sandflee

I like a lyric in "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds:

Picture yourself in a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with colitis goes by!