Thumb-Burner

Looking for techniques to raise spotted bass that are suspended to the top

8 posts in this topic

Fishing next week with a good friend who is on some serious suspended spotted bass in a big lake. What techniques and baits would you recommend to try to raise them to a topwater bite?

Ima skimmer will bring them up. I have a chrome that isn't chrome anymore, it gray. Knocked the chrome off of it, You could always throw a fluke on just a hook and see what happens.

I would fish 3 different top water baits early a chugger type, a walk the dog type and a Smithwick or Heddon prop bait. I've had some good morning buzz bait action even in the heat of summer. If you can't raise them I would go to a light wacky rig or carolina rig and use a count down method to get it in front of them and also a suspended jerk bait.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:52 PM, buddha162 said:

How would you compare the Ima Skimmer to the LC Gunfish? Which one can you walk faster?

The skimmer you can walk a fast as you can twich. With the slim profile, it just raises and cuts the water somewhat randomly. I change hooks and rings on these right out of the package. Same size hook (I think a 4) in a 4x, the skimmer will still float, but change that up to a 6x and it sinks. Not always a bad thing, just not what I want right now. The skimmer put a  buddy and I on topwater action probably a month and a half before anyone caught on to what we were doing. Its a fish catching machine and its big brother the grande.

The LC Gunfish I consider to be more of a jumping minnow type action. More of a side to side sway, versus the jumping quick moves of the skimmer.  I would say skimmer for speed.

Having said the above, the trick to the skimmer for me is to fish it slow and random. I'm talking river fishing here in current.