Canal Reel Advice

Rate this topic

Question for the canal regulars. Sold my canal setup last spring to fund a new surf setup.  Make 8-10 trips up from SoCo RI through the season so I don't wanna break the bank, is a 5500 Penn SSV “enough” reel or am I running the risk of being outgunned?  Will be throwing plugs and the occasional swim bait.  It will be on a 10’6 1-5 oz. Thanks in advance for the help.

Your set up will work as the rod is the pressure maker but you will have longer retrieval times with the 5500. The SSV is a durable work horse but you want more line capacity and retrieve ratios. Look at a 6500 SSV or a Daiwa BG in the same size for less money. 

Note: if you are a member of the big on line retailer you can generally purchase reels for a nice discount.

Edited by heyblue34

40 mins ago, Marone Pursuit said:

Question for the canal regulars. Sold my canal setup last spring to fund a new surf setup.  Make 8-10 trips up from SoCo RI through the season so I don't wanna break the bank, is a 5500 Penn SSV “enough” reel or am I running the risk of being outgunned?  Will be throwing plugs and the occasional swim bait.  It will be on a 10’6 1-5 oz. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have the 5500 SSV  and used it at the canal for just chunk bait. Have had problems very happy with it. However if you plan on using plugs you might want to look into the PENN 6500 HS witch has a better retrieve ratios. You won’t have to crank so fast to keep your plug from going to far down the canal as it gets crowded at times. Good luck and hope this helps 

I used a 5500 last year throwing pencils and had zero problems getting big fish in quickly, spooled with 30lb braid. I caught dozens of 30-40lb fish and not one hiccup. Cant beat the real for the price, but decided on the Slammer 6500 this year which I got for a score of a dea on fleabay.