shortys7777

In wall AC unit issues.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

When I bought my house it already had a old unit in the wall sticking outside. I Cant seem to find anything that will fit the current opening. I took it all out and have it covered up but need to get it taken care of soon. the hole was cut for the unit 17 3/4 wide by 13 5/8 high. If I get something smaller I'm going to have to re build the outside and add singles. Plus the wall is 6 inches thick. Would a window unit even work with that thickness of wood? What are my options?

If it's gonna be replaced with a other AC unit, I'd do a ductless mini split. Close off the majority of the hole but use a small portion to feed the line set and electric through. The unit itself is a bit more expensive but it's more aestheticly pleasing and a ton quieter.

You took out the whole sleeve from the wall? You're supposed to just slide out the AC unit and leave the sleeve to jam the new one in. They're standard sized and haven't been changed in decades. I recently replaced the unit in one that had to be 40 years old. Was 2X the price of a similar BTU window unit, but it was the path of least resistance labor wise,

10 hours ago, shortys7777 said:

When I bought my house it already had a old unit in the wall sticking outside. I Cant seem to find anything that will fit the current opening. I took it all out and have it covered up but need to get it taken care of soon. the hole was cut for the unit 17 3/4 wide by 13 5/8 high. If I get something smaller I'm going to have to re build the outside and add singles. Plus the wall is 6 inches thick. Would a window unit even work with that thickness of wood? What are my options?

Something's wrong here.  No way those dimensions are sized for a "Thru-Wall" air conditioner...they're to small.  What you've "likely" got is someone took a regular window mount A/C unit and framed an opening in the wall for it.  An everyday 5000 sized window unit (pick any brand) is awful close to the dimensions you provided...  For instance, here's the #1 seller at the Orange Empire

Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E 5

• Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 11.1, Measures: 16-Inches W x 15-1/4-Inches D x 12-Inches H

If the next question is can I turn around and do the same thing?  I might catch flak for saying this but, yes actually.  I'd expect a shorter life depending on how the new Window style ventilates motor heat.  Since they're cheap as hell maybe a long life doesn't really matter.

If you go this route.  Go overboard with your flashing, correctly pitch the unit so condensation has a chance to roll out and away from the wall (this is your NUMBER ONE precaution - you must get rid of incidental water so it doesn't drip ((or wind blown rain)) back down inside the wall), use the extra 1-1/2 inch around the top and sides of the unit (based on the rough opening size you gave) to stuff insulation in, trim out that gap on the outside with nothing more than flat stock 5/4 board (so it stands proud of your shingles) and finally match the paint or stain to make the trim boards disappear.

Last question you might ask.  Would "you guys" do this?  No fuq'n way...you'll be dealing with this issue every few/five years because small window units are built to, literally, throw away.

My last house I built in RI we were right on the salt water and opted out of central A/C.  A couple of August proved the decision a poor one and for 2 years I lugged those damm window units in and out.  ENOUGH, bought and installed a Mitsubishi thru wall with separate condenser.  Might be the best 3-4K I ever spent.

It looks like it might've been a window unit placed in there. It's right under the sofit so I'm not worried about water getting on it. The sleeve has vents on both sides and an open rear. I'm going to see how it works this summer. I'm just getting a little condensation right on the frame of the wall but ill made a plastic slide for it to drip outside then cover all the air holes around it and put a casing around the inside to make it look better. The unit is in the top corner of the room and we are only in there to sleep. May opt for the ductless one down the road and mount it on the roof. I live in a ranch so it shouldn't be to difficult.