FishHawk II

line and leader formula for 9wt fly rod.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm trying to set up my 9wt for popper fishing. What line weight do you use? In addition,  the leader formula for your popper leader.

I have tried an 11wt line with limited success. FishHawk

I like a single legth of 20lb flouro, around 5-6ft. But I know others will argue for a simple tapered leader which will supposedly help turn over a fly. However with larger WT lines I'm not sure how much a taper does. I'm sure someone more experience/intelligent than me can chime and weigh the options.

An 11 wt line on that 9 wt rod will probably not cast well, most rods can handle a size larger or smaller fairly well. A WF 9 would be worth a try if you can borrow one to test. Leaders for this kind of fishing with lg poppers will work better if you keep them short, say 5 feet. I'd use a heavy butt section and a lighter tippet section of fluorocarbon.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rio Outbound Short which has about 32...33ft head and thin about 80ft running line. Rio OB has 36...37ft head. Both have short about 5ft front tapers so line loop straightens powerfully and for medium and small fly I prefer lines which have longer tips.

Esa

Edited by crunch

3 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

OBS stands for???  Thanks!

Outbound Short.

When you are a ''normal'' flycaster like me, it does magic. When you're a long distance flycaster, the head is a bit short... But we are talking about throwing poppers right ? So never mind long distance anyways.

You have my humble opinion.

Cheers

^..^

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, FishHawk II said:

I'm trying to set up my 9wt for popper fishing. What line weight do you use? In addition,  the leader formula for your popper leader.

I have tried an 11wt line with limited success. FishHawk

Bill,if you go back in the newsletter for December.If you don't have it I'll forward it to you.Toms formula is at the end of the article.He uses a Tarpon taper line.I use a Rio floating line with an 8' leader 16# tippet all mono.Don't forget a loop knot at the popper.

1 min ago, theshadow said:

Bill,if you go back in the newsletter for December.If you don't have it I'll forward it to you.Toms formula is at the end of the article.He uses a Tarpon taper line.I use a Rio floating line with an 8' leader 16# tippet all mono.Don't forget a loop knot at the popper.60-80' not a problem.

9 mins ago, snapper1 said:

Outbound Short.

When you are a ''normal'' flycaster like me, it does magic. When you're a long distance flycaster, the head is a bit short... But we are talking about throwing poppers right ? So never mind long distance anyways.

You have my humble opinion.

Cheers

^..^

OBS is a floater, sort of like a bass bug taper when freshwater bass fishing with fly rod? Thanks !

1 hour ago, yarddog59 said:

OBS is a floater, sort of like a bass bug taper when freshwater bass fishing with fly rod? Thanks !

All kinds of OBS.But as I'm looking at the RIO website, they do not seem to carry it anymore... Check the RIO website. The Intouch Striper floater is very similar with a 30 ft head...The head design might not be as agressive as an OBS...

Hope it helps

^..^

Edited by snapper1