Tacoma2015

Colt Combat Commander

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys- so a buddy recently approached me wanting to sell his 1972 Colt Combat Commander in .45 acp with the Satin Nickel finish. It’s in very good condition, without the box and papers. I have no idea what this pistol is worth so I’m not sure on a price to offer. Any help would be appreciated. I don’t have pictures which I know makes it that much harder. 

2 hours ago, Tacoma2015 said:

It’s in very good condition, without the box and papers. I have no idea what this pistol is worth so I’m not sure on a price to offer...I don’t have pictures which I know makes it that much harder. 

I'm not the 1911 guy in this crowd but this continues to help me with all kinds of firearms.

Gun values by Gun Digest

30 Day subscription is $2.99.  They ask questions to ascertain value, some generic but some get very specific.  Get that info from the owner then just plug it in.  Considering how many variations to the 1911 there are, 3 bucks is a pittance.  You and the owner both get confidence in a fair price and each might learn something about the pistol when all is said and done.

For the heck of it I plugged in the OP...  The very first value adjustment they ask is Series 70 or 80 on your 1972 Combat Commander.  It's a 40% adjustment so I'd suggest you find out.  Looked to be quite a few more questions after that.

Good luck

Blue Book of Gun Values has it between $500 for 60% and $1300 for 100%.   They list satin nickel as scarce and don't seem to differentiate in valuemfrom what I can see.

43 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

Blue Book of Gun Values has it between $500 for 60% and $1300 for 100%.   They list satin nickel as scarce and don't seem to differentiate in valuemfrom what I can see.

That’s really good info to have, at least I have an idea what to look for as far as quality in the pistol when I have it in my hands

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Nice.....wouldn't own anything but Series 70.

Thankfully you mentioned that in my thread.  I took it to heart and operating the two side by side...I can see why.   :cool:

(You're still wrong about the RIA 1911 though  :box: )

50 mins ago, mako20ft said:

Thankfully you mentioned that in my thread.  I took it to heart and operating the two side by side...I can see why.   :cool:

(You're still wrong about the RIA 1911 though  :box: )

I’m guessing the 70 is a lot nicer than an 80s series?

The 80 Series hit a lot of shooters as unnecessary and PC.  It's an added safety system that detracts from the trigger pull.  It also adds aggravating steps to a complete tear down.