Got the DEEP striper survey today

Rate this topic

Billybob

52 mins ago, SlackTideBri said:

Wonder if they can have an emergency session(s) and act before September to save whatever is still alive for the fall run. Hope so, it's a broken ocean out there.

Not gonna happen.

I got it, filled it out. It was essentially the same one that NJ did a few weeks ago.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I didn't see anything about some new regulations.  Where was it and how can more people get involved?   i am afraid that they are still debating while "Rome burns". This unfortunately is a coast wide issue that no one state can be effective in curing.  I'll hope for the best ,but expect the worst and hope I'm wrong.

I voted slot, and added a comment endorsing the full exploration of a 1-2 year moratorium for commercial and rec in surrounding states (since there was no question about a full closure). I think there should be seasonal closures, at a minimum. Just not confident that even upping the minimum size in the slot is going to do enough at this point. But what do I know. Not fond of most bottom fishing, but would be willing to skip a year or two to ensure that my nephews have the chance to meet a striper when they are old enough to run a boat. But who knows, by then we may all be spearing lion fish in the sound. And hopefully back to hunting seals off the Cape. 

I also voted for a closed season. 

Why torture and risk injury to so many juveniles?

Perhaps the CT Striper Association should stop it’s award for catching fish in every month of the year - it’d set a good example for others and reinforce their commitment to a sustainable fishery. 

20 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

Wonder if they can have an emergency session(s) and act before September to save whatever is still alive for the fall run. Hope so, it's a broken ocean out there.

Who is "they"? The ASMFC has its regular summer meeting scheduled for next month. Nothing is going to happen until 2020, the rules require that the public have a chance to comment before any new regulations can take effect. Though the individual states can enact regs that are stricter than what the ASMFC requires, I just don't see CT or any other state doing so.

Edited by MakoMike
====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

16 hours ago, westhavendave said:

I voted for the slot and asked for a Dec 1 to Mar 1 ban on non marine district striped bass fishing. I also voted to discontinue the "short" tag program. 

agreed.  the winter holdover fishing should be curtailed.  its adding insult to injury.  plus the poaching from that fishery is ridiculous

its all about da fishes...

Like to see the results of the for hires and the people that use them vs. the non hires (Joe's) after the survey is completed and assessed. Curious as to how polarized they are in comparison. 

Bobber and westhavendave pegged it with a closed non marine season. Know one non marine area that needed this years ago. 

I just filled it out again and added INCREASE ENFORCEMENT RESOURCES to every comment box just for kicks.  I hope DEEP acts quickly on strict regulations but DEEP and EnCon have only responded to 1 of my calls on poachers around New Haven.  Even then I had to call 3 nights in a row and to this day its the only time I've ever seen an EnCon officer.