Peterf

Let's talk topwater vs sinking

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Something to keep in mind if your going to fsh the canal from the beach try using top water plugs  my personal experience is maybe two out of 10 times I use anything that sinks  it will get stuck on something and have to break the line just something to keep in mind that canal loves to eat money

Losing jigs and plugs is part of the game when you fish an area with rocky structure. It’s not fun losing a plug or jig, but once in a while is okay. You know you’re near the bottom and putting your offering in the strike zone!

7 hours ago, Peterf said:

Something to keep in mind if your going to fsh the canal from the beach try using top water plugs  my personal experience is maybe two out of 10 times I use anything that sinks  it will get stuck on something and have to break the line just something to keep in mind that canal loves to eat money

If you are fishing the canal ,like the CCC then losing jigs is part of fishing there. But as time goes on you should start losing less and catching more.

There are a lot of threads on jigging to read.

15 hours ago, Peterf said:

Also a little advice don't try using anything that sinks during low tide it's almost a guarantee that u will loose it

1 hour ago, Peterf said:

Also a little advice don't try using anything that sinks during low tide it's almost a guarantee that u will loose it

Not true at all.  No idea what you are doing but 90% of the fish are gonna be in the lower 1/3 of the water column.  If you want to practice casting by all means stay up high.

If you balance your line, retrieve and lure weight to match depth and current your snags will be far less.  I think the canal is less snaggy then a lot of places because it is mostly rock bottom.  Try fishing around wood and sand bags for some real snagging.

Oh yeah learn to look for lobster pots lol

1 hour ago, Peterf said:

You will catch most fish on the bottom at the canal. Cast uptide bounce the bottom work 10 to 2 until you get confident. 

Rod up high and reel very fast over last 20 feet. Jigs work but you need the right gear, line,leader.

20180521_183626.jpg

20180715_124932.jpg

If you're constantly hanging up, you're likely using too heavy of a jig.  

You may also be letting in drift too far in towards the shoreline.  Try retrieving when it hits 10:00 or 2:00 depending on which direction the current is going.  

You certainly should not be snagging bottom 1 out of every 5 casts.  That is for sure.  

Edited by TLap21

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Happy to help!

Long time no talk.  How are ya?

Hey Phil all is good, I saw I missed your call. Have been very busy sorry we'll talk soon.... Hope all is good with you