ThrowinPlugs

Non-Slammer 3 dunkable reel for $300?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Theirs not many, spheros and gosa, svi is an ounce or 2 lighter than s3 and in my option feels slightly different than s3 .maybe you should wait it out for a tsunami salt x which might fit the profile  

The BG is not dunkable, though i like mine.

The shield is dunkable but the drag is maddening.

Slammer so far IMO very nice but I dont have experience as to its dunkability.

a 712 with your choice of greasy addition can be dunked then kept in a river for a day and fished in the rain.  ready to go after a quick draining.  They can be pricey at $50 used.

I had a slammer and it definitely wasn't dunkable. Seems like the Salt X should be coming out any day if you can just hold out a little bit and are willing to take a risk.

Lol yeah I came ti that conclusion rather quickly myself. A shame, really. Yeah available and spoken for at many shops. No biggie, I got what I needed already. Thanks though. 

5 hours ago, Jturnbull said:

I had a slammer and it definitely wasn't dunkable. Seems like the Salt X should be coming out any day if you can just hold out a little bit and are willing to take a risk.

Just now, ThrowinPlugs said:

Lol yeah I came ti that conclusion rather quickly myself. A shame, really. Yeah available and spoken for at many shops. No biggie, I got what I needed already. Thanks though. 

What did you end up with ? 

On 6/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, 55555s said:

The BG is not dunkable, though i like mine.

The shield is dunkable but the drag is maddening.

Slammer so far IMO very nice but I dont have experience as to its dunkability.

Have all three, like my four BG's but they are not surf reels.  Love my two Slammer III reels - perfect so far (had them each about a year).  My Shield 4000 is back in FL being repaired (soon I hope) - drag went tits-up real quick (two to three hours of use and wasn't even dunked).  I cleaned the drag washers, reapplied grease using Cal's tan drag grease, and it still was squirrelly on me.  From my limited experience I'd hold off on the Shield and go with a Slammer III.  If my Shield is good to go when it comes back I will post that here.  OH

Posted (edited) · Report post

:headscratch:  I'm confused here for those that have said their Slammer 3 had dunk-ability issues...........I had mine for several years now and had it under water on multiple occasions and haven't had these negative experiences.  Granted, i wasn't reeling it underwater like a VS or ZB but, nevertheless it has performed beautifully so far.

Zeno goes a little bit above and beyond in the video below but it should still demonstrate it's reliability under water for those times in need..........:headscratch:

Edited by yogiiiboy

1 hour ago, Old Hunter said:

From my limited experience I'd hold off on the Shield and go with a Slammer III. 

+ a bunch.   a sample of 2 shields leaves me underwhelmed wrt the drag.  

Sons slammer3 flawless so far, albeit under light use.

On 7/10/2019 at 0:22 PM, Old Hunter said:

Have all three, like my four BG's but they are not surf reels.  Love my two Slammer III reels - perfect so far (had them each about a year).  My Shield 4000 is back in FL being repaired (soon I hope) - drag went tits-up real quick (two to three hours of use and wasn't even dunked).  I cleaned the drag washers, reapplied grease using Cal's tan drag grease, and it still was squirrelly on me.  From my limited experience I'd hold off on the Shield and go with a Slammer III.  If my Shield is good to go when it comes back I will post that here.  OH

Promised to report back here when my Tsunami Shield 4000 returned from the factory warranty service center in Boynton Beach FL.  I was hoping for the best, really wanted to like the Shield reel; looked good and felt good initially.  I shipped it off on 6/28, it returned to me on 7/25; according to the repair center paperwork they decided to repair the AR instead of the drag issue I sent the reel in for (and detailed in my letter).  They managed to misalign or break the gearing - now when I crank the handle it feels like a ratchet wrench and the spool will not spin (I took it off and reset it - it works for five or six spins, then slips off again and begins chattering).  Last night I took the reel back to the my local B&T (Neuse Sport Shop) where I bought it this past New Years Eve - they gave me full credit towards a Shimano Stradic 4000 XGFK (got 40% off due to close out on that reel) they also moved my braided line for me.  I am done with Tsunami Shields.  Hope they can get the Shield drag issues fixed for the future.  OH

I have had the teeth shear off the gear on one of my shield 3k, but it was used to pull blackfish out of rocks with full drag, and fought a few albies if I remember correctly. 15 minute repair and its back to its normal, geary self. It's no gem but it's reliable if you don't abuse it.

Four sets of gears and o rings ran about $12, and there is no way you are reusing the previous o rings. The reel shown was dunked in saltwater twice, at least. (The ~25% of the teeth shorn appear shiny from above)

C9431F8F-A391-4693-8FAF-26759016A588.jpeg

31D36163-591A-4A60-9523-FD4726901D20.jpeg

4B08D4B3-BC6B-4BE4-B1CF-2E7A5C7F72E0.jpeg

40316250-3C01-4F5B-8D3D-65802AA622B4.jpeg

5B1042C7-F028-449E-AC31-1E192857A3BB.jpeg

Aha! Our new poster ^^^ appears to be a gearhead.  

Welcome to our happily dysfunctional family. There are more cousins to hate here than you ever knew you had.  :)

On 7/28/2019 at 6:59 PM, BrianBM said:

Aha! Our new poster ^^^ appears to be a gearhead.  

Welcome to our happily dysfunctional family. There are more cousins to hate here than you ever knew you had.  :)

Might as well suffer together :howdy: