ThrowinPlugs

Non-Slammer 3 dunkable reel for $300?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hey all, so I'm looking for a new reel to pair with an airwave elite 9'6 that I use only in the back bays and shallower water. Longest cast is maybe 100 yards. Looking for a reel that I can dunk without worrying about seepage. I liked my S3, but I would like something different. How are the Saltist Back Bays? I'll probably be throwing 20lb braid on it, maybe 30 if I'm feeling froggy. Any other recommendations are appreciated. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Saragosa / spheros sw.  Best sealing at the ar clutch south of the VS ZB level reels

Tsunami shield

If you consider the slammer dunkable which I don't.  My spinfisher vi survived a few hours in a fish tank...but both that reel and a slammer 3 had pinion bearings fail shortly after a short dehook dunk.

(The pinion seal is nothing more than a rubber sealed ball bearing at the pinion.  The hydrophobic coating applied doesn't keep water out if submerged in my experience)

The spinfisher VI non long cast and non live liner is sealed identically (only reason for the drop in IP rating is due to avoid confusion due to the other variants having more points of water entry) 

Though the spinfisher and slammer are two very nice reels provided you get a good one out of the box.

Edited by scoobydoo

26 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Saragosa / spheros sw.  Best sealing at the ar clutch south of the VS ZB level reels

I love my Saragosa and I just bought a Spheros SW. Their as smooth as silk. the new spheros is way better than the old version. The Saragosa is a few oz. lighter but either way I don't think you can wrong.

See I had a Saragosa but it did NOT like the tsunami rods. A lot of line slap on casting because of the parallel reel foot..

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

I suggest a 3000, 3500, or 4000 sized diawa BG if you don’t plan to go above 2 oz. 3000/3500. Possibly for the 4K yo to 2.5 . My BG held up to some splashes in the bay and have brought in a brown shark and ray (10-15) fish on a 3k. You’d will love the lightness. I have almost been spooled in the back  with a 3k that was a little light on line. I was using 20 LB leader and 20 LB braid. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

40 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

I suggest a 3000, 3500, or 4000 sized diawa BG if you don’t plan to go above 2 oz. 3000/3500. Possibly for the 4K yo to 2.5 . My BG held up to some splashes in the bay and have brought in a brown shark and ray (10-15) fish on a 3k. You’d will love the lightness. I have almost been spooled in the back  with a 3k that was a little light on line. I was using 20 LB leader and 20 LB braid. 

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the only thing sealed on a BG the drag? Definitely would not consider it dunkable.

I think all that’s left in the ~$300 dunkable category is the gosa/spheros, and then a shield if you go even cheaper. I have a shield on my new back bay rod I built, like it so far but hasn’t been tested on anything decent yet.

3 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the only thing sealed on a BG the drag? Definitely would not consider it dunkable.

I think all that’s left in the ~$300 dunkable category is the gosa/spheros, and then a shield if you go even cheaper. I have a shield on my new back bay rod I built, like it so far but hasn’t been tested on anything decent yet.

Totally agree with you. My BG seizes up in the rain. 

I would try the Tsunami Shield. Don't have experience with it but I hear good reports on it. That being said, I wouldn't want to dunk it. But seems good for your heavy splashes and such. 

Edited by coastalfreak

2 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

Had one, hated it. Geary, crappy handle, not sealed, only the rotor. Definitely wouldn't dunk it.

Yeah I considered the Shield, but I'm just not sold on them. To me they feel very stiff and geary. Also have seen a lot of issues with them and servicing seems to be a pain. 

Maybe I'll just go with the Spheros, seems to be the best way to go.

Yeah BG isn’t submersible, but My originally thought was a mag sealed saltist. I thought maybe a 3000 would shave off weight for you. But then I said why mess with mag seals, my BG has not seized up on me. I guess it’s asking too much from a 109$ diawa with no seals. 

I was thinking that maybe with routine maintenance the BG would work(depending on salinity). This one bay I’ve been fishing (an inlet ) seemingly doesn’t seem to have too much sand in it. Also, you wouldn’t have to pay for mag sea refill. 

Finally, the BG has been a great caster and although I suppose it’s Geary it will get the job done. Although, I did hook into something along a sea wall that requires me to break off before being spooled. 

Good luck with your pick. The Spheros has been good to me and I have the 5k on my 9’6. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

4 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

Just thought you could have two reels for the price of one.  Plus my idea of bay is practically no sand. Also haven’t had too open mine up. ( it does squeak a little and the handle is tight, but it been a great little plug caster for me. Just my .02. Plus a 3000 will shave off a half pound. 

I appreciate the input, but like I said before in had one and hated it. 

a member here recommended a grease called aquashield to "seal" a reel. I tried it on my spin V on a river bar in heavy to moderate surf for 2 days. dunked many times. normally i would have about half a teaspoon of water ingress in these conditions per day. i had none. so if it was me i would buy a penn v for $100 on ebay and "seal" it with aquashield.

scooby has a video on this stuff

good luck