nycstripers16

Penn 706 Counterbalance?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm trying to follow the tutorial from the fisherman mag on fine tuning the 706z. I recently picked up a vintage 706 and am trying to set it up with the counterbalance and upgraded line roller. I contacted several of the veteran members to find an upgraded roller with no luck, even tried posting a WTB. Someone suggested getting a VS line roller but I don't want to drop $45 on one until I know it will fit without major modification.

Does anyone have pictures of a 706 with the counterbalance? It would be a lot of help seeing as the only resource I have at the moment is from the aforementioned article. Another issue I am having is finding 3/16" aluminum. At home depot, they only have 1/8" and I was thinking I could stack them 2 identical cut pieces together and file one down to the proper height. Any help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 10.26.35 AM.png

Not sure if I have a spare "carbide" line roller, but do have a still-needs-a-bit-of-work counterbalance.

You pay the standard $45/kit for the line roller, if available - PP shipped CONUS

3X USPS Priority shipping for the counterbalance PP (includes shipping the line roller).

I'll look thru my Penn parts & let all know ...

9 mins ago, frazerp said:

Not sure if I have a spare "carbide" line roller, but do have a still-needs-a-bit-of-work counterbalance.

You pay the standard $45/kit for the line roller, if available - PP shipped CONUS

3X USPS Priority shipping for the counterbalance PP (includes shipping the line roller).

I'll look thru my Penn parts & let all know ...

If you have any pictures, that would be great.

There’s no need to do anything to that reel. Once it’s mounted on the rod you won’t notice that it’s out of balance anymore. The line rollers are notorious for sounding like a coffee grinders. You can take them apart but on a old reel

like that you might damage the stud that the roller spins on taking it apart. They are pressed together so you will need a vise or bearing press. Just fish it as is. As far as the vs line roller goes it’s  too tall to fit properly on the 706 pum and has a different grove cut in it then the penn roller. You would need to cut off your pum and the get the vs one and then drill and tap the rotor. Going to cost you a lot more then $50, more like $200.   

21 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

There’s no need to do anything to that reel. Once it’s mounted on the rod you won’t notice that it’s out of balance anymore. The line rollers are notorious for sounding like a coffee grinders. You can take them apart but on a old reel

like that you might damage the stud that the roller spins on taking it apart. They are pressed together so you will need a vise or bearing press. Just fish it as is. As far as the vs line roller goes it’s  too tall to fit properly on the 706 pum and has a different grove cut in it then the penn roller. You would need to cut off your pum and the get the vs one and then drill and tap the rotor. Going to cost you a lot more then $50, more like $200.   

This definitely helps, thanks. Seeing as I work an office job, I like to pick up a good project on my work bench here and there, so the counterbalance project was just something to keep me entertained.

22 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

The line rollers are notorious for sounding like a coffee grinders.

I thought that the howling that my 706 Greenie made while winding line was the line roller. New bearing, a bunch of special lubes made little to no difference in the db output.  An Internet search showed that my 706 was not the only 706 that had a noise issue. Then it dawned on me that the howling was not the line roller itself but the rotor body behaving like a sound chamber amplifying the line roller bearing noise.  To dampen the howling, the semi-fix was to wrap a thick silicone rubber band around the outside diameter of the rotor. It did not eliminate the noise but it dampen the howling a bit.  The silicone rubber band also serves as a line keeper when the reel is not fishing.

Get a Penn Ball Bearing roller kit

I may have an extra one around somewhere

23 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Get a Penn Ball Bearing roller kit

I may have an extra one around somewhere

Please let me know if you do! Thanks

On 6/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, carbon12 said:

I thought that the howling that my 706 Greenie made while winding line was the line roller. New bearing, a bunch of special lubes made little to no difference in the db output.  An Internet search showed that my 706 was not the only 706 that had a noise issue. Then it dawned on me that the howling was not the line roller itself but the rotor body behaving like a sound chamber amplifying the line roller bearing noise.  To dampen the howling, the semi-fix was to wrap a thick silicone rubber band around the outside diameter of the rotor. It did not eliminate the noise but it dampen the howling a bit.  The silicone rubber band also serves as a line keeper when the reel is not fishing.

The line roller bearings is a stainless shielded bearing your not going to be able to service it. It’s also naturally a noisy bearing even a brand new one. I found when I put some grease in when assembling it that dampened the noise. As far as the spool contacting the rotor making noise you most likely have a bent main shaft. It should not rub and make noise at all.