giants44

Intermediate Coldwater Fly Lines

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello SOL community.

Being new to the fly fishing sport, I was wondering if anyone had some input to what they feel is the best Intermediate coldwater line for NE striper fishing.  I currently have Orvis' 10wt coldwater intermediate sinking line on my fly rod.  I have no idea how it stacks up against the competition.  Stopped by my local fly shop yesterday and peeked inside a couple of fly line boxes to get a look at them.  I noticed the weight forward section of the Airflo CI seemed a bit more supple than my Orvis line.  I know the water has been pretty chilly up to now, but the Orvis line seems a bit stiff up front.  

Being new, perhaps this just might be the norm for coldwater lines.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I just fished the  Orvis Hydros Int. and a Rio in touch  over the past three days. They performed similarly, both did well punching wind, not tangling much in the basket. I  had reservations about the stiffness of the Orvis, but in the running line moreso than the head.  I'd fish it first, then worry about new lines.  I fished the Orvis in low 50's water in early May-  it did fine.  The head on the Orvis is thinner/stiffer/heavier and does a good job of punching big flies out.  The 9 wt. works well on my 10, as the head is 3/4  overweight.   I may pick up a 10 for even better delivery of the big stuff and wind battles. 

I had the Hydros coldwater intermediate in an 8wt and it was very stiff and tangled more than most other lines I've used.  I got one in a 10wt cheap over the winter, so I'm going to try it again.  It does get mostly good reviews and I know others that use it without any issues.  

Stiff line has potential to be very tangle free if stretching makes it straight. Take so much line out of reel your longest shooted casts are and route line behind a tree or something and then pull both ends hard.

Esa

I don't have any experience with that line. However my airflo coldwater intermediate has been fantastic. I've fished some pretty cold-weather with it and have never had it seem "stiff"